Elia Locardi (born 1980) is an American photography professional specialized in travel photography, landscape photography, aerial photography and videography. He is best known for his recreations of color images of renowned landscape and travel subjects from dozens of countries, which have been said to "portray the world in bold, vivid color, and bring landscapes and moments to life in ways that immerse the viewer". Locardi is also a well known photography blogger, educator, speaker and entrepreneur.
Education and career
Locardi graduated in media art and animation from the Art Institute of Ft Lauderdale in 2002. After a decade working in the media arts and animation industry, and travelling, Locardi launched a continued career as a location-independent digital nomad photographer , a complex occupation whose details he has profusely described. Locardi's pieces were voted ninth in USA Today 10Best's "Top Travel Photography Bloggers" in a Readers' Choice Poll (2014), chosen twice among the yearly top 10 travel photos (2014,2015) by the 500px photography community, and selected in 2016 among the "Top 50 Photographs From Around the World" on mymodernmet, as well as among the Top 25 photos of the year on Flickr.
His photographic themes have been natural landscapes, cityscapes, ancient architecture and world heritage sites. His work has been published in National Geographic, Digital Photo Magazine, Digital Camera Magazine, and Professional Photographer Magazine.
Locardi developed an original digital processing method he calls "Advanced Dynamic Blending". Using multiple exposures over a long time span (up to several hours), he is able to capture the full dynamic range of light in a scene. This process is a form of High-dynamic-range imaging, which merges multiple low- or standard-dynamic-range images into a single image to show details that cannot be captured by standard cameras.
Locardi has also developed singular expertise in mirrorless camera photography, as well as in the use of Adobe Camera Raw postprocessing software (ACR, part of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom) through which he is able to pull remarkably large amounts of dynamic range pictures from a single raw photo.
Locardi was still photographer for the documentary film How I Became an Elephant (2012), and worked capturing aerial drone footage for a documentary film on Bhutan's annual Tour of the Dragon bicycle race (2015). Likewise, his drone pictures and footage have been favourably reviewed in specialized online and book sources.
Together with his wife Naomi Locardi, in 2010 he founded a photography-oriented website Blame The Monkey, an American blog focusing on travel photography inspiration and education. The blog shares stories of the photographers' experiences being global nomads living on the road and the techniques used in the creation and post-processing of travel photography images. The blog also shares online educational resources in the form of photography tutorials. Blame The Monkey was voted "Best New Blog for Photographers" by Scott Kelby, in his roundup of 55 best of things in 2011.
As a notable photographer, Locardi has been an invited speaker at Photoplus Expo (NYC), Photokina (Germany 2014,2016,2018), InterBee (Tokyo), PNE (Beijing), Gulf Photo Plus, Out of Chicago Conference, South Carolina ASMP (Southeastern Film & Photo Conference), Dubai (Feb 2017), National Geographic Aveiro Festival (Portugal 2017), Memphis, TN , XPosure Sharjah (United Arab Emirates 2017& 2018), and Chile (2018).
Alone or in association, Locardi has participated in the development of tutorials and other educational material on photography and postprocessing techniques as applied to travel, landscape, cityscape, desert nightscape, and astro-photography, among others. Resulting from a working alliance with Fstoppers, the tutorial series named "Photographing The World" has 4 complete multi-episode seasons, providing an in-depth account of Locardi's signature methods for landscape photography from beginning to end with an emphasis in post production software procedures.
- "Focus on instructors: Elia Locardi". ucsandiegoextension.wordpress.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "It's guest blog wednesday featuring elia locardi!". scottkelby.com. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- Lebendig, Usnea. "The ultimate guide to travel photography". www.picturecorrect.com. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "Elia Locardi". community.wacom.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Interview with Elia Locardi, One of the Most Amazing Photographers in the World". youqueen.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "About Elia Locardi". www.elialocardi.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "SmugMug Films: Tips for chasing light across the globe with Elia Locardi". news.smugmug.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Top Travel Photography Bloggers Exposed in New Readers' Choice Poll". 10Best. USA Today Travel Media Group. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Best of 2014: Top 10 Travel Photos". iso.500px.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Best of 2015: Top 10 Travel Photos". iso.500px.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Best of 2016: Top 50 Photographs From Around the World". mymodernmet.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Top Flickr Photos from 2016". blog.flickr.net. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- De Boom, Cedric. "Blending Moments in Time". cedricdeboom.github.io. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "Photographing The World with Elia Locardi". www.bruisedpassports.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- Edmonds, Sam. "The mirrorless revolution: four pros on why they switched". www.australianphotography.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "ADOBE ANNOUNCES FULL RAW PHOTO EDITING IN LIGHTROOM MOBILE FOR IOS DEVICES". blamethemonkey.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "How I Became an Elephant". www.imdb.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Thestorybehindtheshot". www.pressreader.com. Retrieved Sep 12, 2016.
- Cade, DL. "Drone Footage So Beautiful it Made a Local Italian Woman Cry". iso.500px.com. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- Buda, Charline. "VIDÉO - Les paysages d'Islande filmés avec un drone". www.rtl.fr. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- Mather, Lindsey. "A Bird's-Eye View of 5 Natural Wonders". www.architecturaldigest.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- Above the World : earth through a drone's eye. Te Neues Publishing Group. ISBN 978-3832733773. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Photographer Elia Locardi Takes His Sense of Home on the Road". community.wacom.com. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "My 'Best of 2011' Awards". scottkelby.com. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Lazell, Jeff. "Photo Plus Expo 2014 Photo Walk in NYC!". blog.xritephoto.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Fujifilm announce the line-up of X-Photographers speaking on the Photokina 2014 stand". www.fujifilm.eu. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Photographers to appear in Live talk". fujifilm-x.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Hasselblad hosting DJI event with Elia Locardi". www.hasselblad.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Desert Nightscapes and Post-processing". gulfphotoplus.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "Do not miss Elia Locardi". outofchicago.com. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "ASMP South Carolina Presents Southeastern Film & Photo Conference". www.asmp.org. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- Kaisi, Jyoti. "Celebrating the art of photography". gulfnews.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "ELIA LOCARDI interviewed at National Geographic Exodus Aveiro Festival". www.youtube.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "X-Photographer Elia Locardi (USA) Demo Stage in Photokina 2018 / FUJIFILM". www.youtube.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Xposure Elia Locardi". xposure.ae. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Top photographers to headline Xposure 2018 fest in Sharjah". gulfnews.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Estrella de National Geographic enseñará gratis sus trucos sobre la fotografía de viaje". www.biobiochile.cl. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- "Fstoppers Landscape Photography Tutorial With Elia Locardi Is Now Available". fstoppers.com. Retrieved September 9, 2016.
- "The Best Landscape Photography Tutorial Ever". theplanetd.com. Retrieved Jan 20, 2019.
- Scott Kelby. "Scott's Top Five List Of Everything! (revisited)". Retrieved September 9, 2016.