Elia System Operator
|Ronnie Belmans, Chairman of the Board
Daniel Dobbeni, CEO
|Services||Electric power transmission|
|Subsidiaries||Elia Asset SA
Elia Engineering SA
Elia Re SA
50Hertz Transmission GmbH
Elia was created as a result of the legal unbundling in the electricity market. On 28 June 2001, Elia became the independent limited liability company. It was appointed as the federal transmission system operator on 17 September 2002. On 20 June 2005, Elia was listed on Euronext Brussels. On 8 July 2005, Elia set up the power exchange Belpex, which is in the process of being integrated into APX-ENDEX.
On March 12, 2010, Elia and Vattenfall reached to an agreement on acquisition of the Vattenfall-owned German transmission system operator 50Hertz Transmission GmbH by Elia. The deal was approved by the European Commission on 10 May 2010.
Elia owns all of Belgium's 150 to 380 kV grid infrastructure and almost 94% of its 30 to 70 kV grid infrastructure. In addition to the Belgium market, Elia operates also in Germany through its subsidiary 50Hertz Transmission GmbH. The company studies interconnection projects with the United Kingdom (Nemo project), Luxembourg and Germany.
Elia has a 60% stake in the power exchange Belpex. As activities of Belpex will be integrated with the energy exchange APX-ENDEX, Elia will receive a 20% stake in APX-ENDEX in exchange of its stake in Belpex.
52.1% of Elia's shares is freely floated on Euronext, 45.37% is owned by Publi-T SCRL, a cooperative company representing Belgian municipalities and intermunicipal companies, and 2.53% by Publipart, a holding company of SPE.
- "APX-ENDEX and Belpex take a further step in the integration of the European energy markets" (PDF) (Press release). Belpex. 2010-04-19. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- Foo Yun Chee (2010-05-10). "Elia's buy of Vattenfall's German grid cleared by EU". Reuters. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- IEA (2010). Energy Policies of IEA Countries - Belgium (PDF). 2009 Review. OECD. p. 142. ISBN 978-92-64-06040-1.
- Paulsson, Lars (2010-04-19). "Dutch Energy Exchange APX Buys Belgium's Belpex as European Markets Link". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "APX-ENDEX, Belpex and Nord Pool Spot to establish cross-border intraday electricity market from Helsinki to Brussels" (Press release). Nord Pool Spot. 2010-06-10. Retrieved 2010-06-13.