Pedra Badejo, Santiago, Cape Verde
Elida Almeida (born 1993) is a Cape Verdean singer.
Elida was born in Pedra Badejo in the east of Santiago Island. She spent her childhood years with some difficulty, in the mountains of Santiago. At 17, she sang at church, she listened to the radio, she said on that she grew up on a place without electricity or necessities. She worked on radio commentaries, especially with DJs and presenters. She started writing her album Nta Konsiqui
She later presented at local concerts and sang at bars in Cape Verde where she started her career. The producer José da Silva, a resident of France with Cape Verdean origins, which previously worked with Cesária Évora, was interested in her career, her style is very different from the most famous Cape Verdean morna-coladeira singer, more influenced by funaná, batuque, rhythms created by deserted slaves decades ago, but has a different similarity for the expression. Two years later, she made her first album Ora doci, Ora margos, in December 2014, she sang in Portugal and France, later she did her first concerts in France and the United States. In 2015, she took part at Festival Musiques Métisses in Angoulême, and for the first time on stage in Paris in the same month. In November 2015, she was designated a laureate at the RFi awards, made by the jury chaired by the Malian singer Oumou Sangaré. She produced mainly on the African continent even at the start of the Festival des musiques urbaines d'Anoumabo (FEMUA - Anoumabo Urban Music Festival) in Abidjan.
- Ora doci, Ora Margos (December 2014 - released by Harmonia in Cabo-Verde)
- Ora doci, Ora Margos (May 2015 - released by Lusafrica in the rest of the world)
- Kebrada (October 2017 - released by Lusafrica)
- "Txika" (July 2016 - Lusafrica)
- "Di Mi Ku Di Bo" (January 2017 - Lusafrica)
- "É Zonban" feat. Djodje (July 2017 - Lusafrica)
- "Nhu Santiagu" with Lura in her album Herança (2015)
Collaborations with other artists
She collaborates with Nelly Cruz, a bass guitarist, Diego Gomes with keys, Magik Santiago with the frums and Hernani Almeida, a guitarist. They produced her first album Ora doci, ora morgas
- Adrien Barbier, Elida Almeida, nouvelle pépite du Cap Vert , Le Monde, 24 December 2015
- Guillaume Thibault, « Elida Almeida, la tornade musicale du Cap-Vert », Radio France international, 5 April 2015
- "Eg, « Elida Almeida (Cap Vert) lauréate du prix Découvertes RFI 2015" [Elida Almeida (Cape Verde), Laureate at the 2015 RFi Awards]. L'Express de Guinée (in French). 18 November 2015.
- "Musique: Elida Almeida ouvre le Femua 2016 à Abidjan" [Music: Elida Almeida Opened FEMUA 2016 in Abidjan] (in French). Lebaldi. 20 April 2016. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Élida Almeida é a artista mais premiada e Hélio Batalha revelação". A Nação (in Portuguese). 8 May 2016. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Bilanda, Jude (6 June 2016). "JazzKif : la Capverdienne Elida Almeida s'est produite à Kinshasa" (in French). Radio Okapi. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mindelo infos : Elida Almeida". www.mindelo.info. 10 December 2015.
- "Les Chroniques de Hiko - Txika". les-chroniques-de-hiko.blogspot.fr. 26 July 2016.
- "Djolo - Nouveau Single d'Elida Almeida Di Mi Ku Di Bo". djolo.net. 16 January 2014.
- "Elida Almeida : nouveau single "É Zonban" feat Djodje !" [New Single: "È Zonban" feat. Djodje] (in French). Culture Bene. July 25, 2017.
- Rosny Ladouceur, Les complices d’Elida Almeida (Compilations by Elida Almeida), Le National, 21 June 2016
- Églantine Chabasseur, Elida Almeida, ombre et lumière (Elida Almeida, Shadow and Light), Radio France International, 2 December 2015 (in French)
- L. Daku, Revivez le concert de la lauréate du prix Découvertes RFI, (Reviving the Concert by the Laureate of the RFi Awards, Elida Almeida), Radio France International, 4 April 2016 (in French)
- A.D. McKenzie, Cape Verde's Newest Voice Sends Message to Girls, IPS, 11 June 2015
- Ana Maria Ribeiro, Portugal ouve música neste fim de semana, Correio da Manhã 13 August 2016
- Elida Almeida, le live de la matinale (Elida Almeida - Live in the Morning), France Musique, September 2016 (in French)