||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
4 July 1964 |
He's considered to be the Arab world’s most successful designer. By 2010, Saab had dressed 102 international celebrities. Additionally, he is an established designer amongst royalty with habitué, including Queen Rania of Jordan, Princess Madeleine of Sweden and Princess Beatrice of York.
Born to Maronite Catholic parents in Beirut, Saab is self-trained and began sewing as a child. At the age of eight his attention was already turned to fashion. He used to cut patterns out of newspaper and searched his mother's closet for any lace he could find. He used his sister as his model, raiding his mother's closet for anything he could drape upon her. However, his family was pleasantly surprised when he turned out a blue and white striped gown for his sister. He felt inspired by the elegance and beauty in a woman.
In 1981 Saab moved to Paris to study fashion, and later returned to Beirut to open his fashion label. in 1982, when he was 18 years old, with a team of 15 employees. At first, his atelier was specialized in bridal couture making wedding dresses and gowns using rich fabrics, lace, detailed embroidery, pearls, crystals and silk threads. In Beirut, his reputation grew from dressing the women in his neighbourhood, and was soon enhanced by high society women who began sporting his designs.
Elie Saab's style is a unique fusion of western and eastern culture. He uses noble materials such as taffeta, organza, noble and satin paired with more fluid and light fabrics.
In 1997 Saab was the first non-Italian designer to become a member of the Italian Camera Nazionale della Moda, and in 1997, showed his first collection outside Lebanon in Rome. In 1998, he started ready-to-wear in Milan, and in the same year, he held a fashion show in Monaco, which was attended by Princess Stéphanie of Monaco.
He became more well-known in the United States after he became the first Lebanese designer to dress an Oscar winner, Halle Berry, in 2002. Berry wore a burgundy gown by Saab to the 2002 Academy Awards when she won for Best Actress. Berry later wore another dress by Saab to the 2003 Oscars.
In May 2003, the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture invited him to become a member, and he showed his first haute couture collection in Paris in July 2003. His first ready-to-wear collection in Paris was the Spring-Summer 2006 collection.
In 2010, Saab dressed 102 celebrities for events, up from 40 in 2009. The figure for 2011 up until March was 88. The brand has boutiques located in Beirut, Dubai, Doha, Paris, London, Geneva, Hong Kong, Moscow, New York, and Mexico, 100 retail outlets total In 2011, Elie Saab launched his first fragrance "Le Parfum".
- Queen Rania of Jordan
- Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden,
- Jennifer Lopez
- Aishwarya Rai
- Anna Kendrick
- Christina Aguilera
- Catherine Zeta-Jones
- Angelina Jolie
- Celine Dion
- Elena Anaya
- Elsa Zylberstein
- Taylor Swift
- Mila Kunis
- Leighton Meester
- Blake Lively
- Fan Bingbing
- Halle Berry 
- Olivia Palermo
- Hilary Swank
- Katy Perry
- Sarah Jessica Parker
- Daisy Lowe
- Kristen Stewart
- Scarlett Johansson
- Dita Von Teese
- Dakota Fanning
- Emily Blunt
- Helen Mirren
- Zoe Saldana
- Florence Welch
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Saab met his future wife Claudine when her mother bought one of his designs. They married three years later. They are the parents of three sons who live in Geneva. Saab has three houses in Lebanon: an old house in Gemmayze region of Beirut, a house in Rabieh and a chalet in Faqra. He also has properties in France and Switzerland.
List of Fashion shows
- Elie Saab Autumn/Winter 2016 Couture
- Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2017 Resort
- Elie Saab Autumn/Winter 2016 Ready-To-Wear
- Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2016 Couture
- Elie Saab Autumn/Winter 2016 Pre-Fall
- Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2016 Ready-To-Wear
- Elie Saab Autumn/Winter 2015 Couture
- Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2016 Resort
- Elie Saab Autumn/Winter 2015 Ready-To-Wear
- Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2015 Couture
- Elie Saab Autumn/Winter 2015 Pre-Fall
- Elie Saab Spring/Summer 2015 Ready-To-Wear
- Ulrik Putz, Libanons Designer Elie Saab: Mission Mode, Spiegel. (German). 2007. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- MacFarquhar, N (27 April 2002). "An unlikely couturier from an unlikely 'Paris'.". The New York Times. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- Elie Saab Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "Elie Saab". Vogue. Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "French Chamber Gala Dineer 2012" (PDF). FCCIHK. Retrieved February 24, 2013.[dead link]
- "Saab Story". Vanity Fair. October 8, 2011.
- Halle Berry - Memorable Oscar Dresses, About.com. Retrieved on March 23, 2009.
- - It's the dress for success - Elie Saab goes from obscurity to fashion's front row Alev Aktar, New York Daily News March 28, 2002
- Lee, Esther (February 11, 2011). "The Beautiful World of Elie Saab". The 949 Style Guide. Archived from the original on May 13, 2012.
- How elie saab has made the red carpet his catwalk. (January 21, 2012). The National. Retrieved February 24, 2013.[dead link]
- "Elie Saab". Retrieved February 24, 2013.
- "Fashion TV - Top Designer - Elie Saab". Fashion TV. Archived from the original on January 31, 2009. Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- (June 21, 2010), A Royal Affair: Princess Victoria's Wedding Style People. Retrieved January 2, 2012.
- "Couture dresses at Cannes 2011". Haute Couture News. Retrieved June 5, 2011.
- Critchell, Samantha. "Bullock wears `Oscar' gown, other stars take risks". Associated Press. Archived from the original on March 11, 2010. Retrieved March 8, 2010.
- Christina Aguilera in an Elie Saab dress at American Music Awards, Glamour Magazine. Retrieved March 23, 2009.
- Angelina Jolie In Elie Saab Black Dress Oscars 2009, Stylefrizz.com. Retrieved on March 23, 2009.
- Couture dresses at Oscar 2011, Haute Couture News Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- "Grammys 2015: Taylor Swift in Elie Saab". Tom + Lorenzo. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Elie Saab Official Website