Elimination Chamber (2011)
|Elimination Chamber (2011)|
Promotional poster featuring Edge
|"Ignition" by TobyMac|
|Promotion||World Wrestling Entertainment|
|Sponsor(s)||National Guard of the United States|
|Date||February 20, 2011|
|Elimination Chamber chronology|
Elimination Chamber (2011) (also known as No Escape (2011) in Germany) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and presented by the National Guard, which took place on February 20, 2011 at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.
The professional wrestling matches at Elimination Chamber featured professional wrestlers performing as characters in scripted events pre-determined by the hosting promotion, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). Storylines between the characters were produced on WWE's weekly television shows Raw and SmackDown with the Raw and SmackDown brands—storyline divisions in which WWE assigned its employees to different programs.
After The Miz won the WWE Championship in November 2010, Raw commentator Jerry Lawler was given what was billed as his first WWE Championship match, after criticizing Miz's win by using his Money in the Bank briefcase while former champion Randy Orton was injured. He lost to Miz in a TLC match after his fellow commentator Michael Cole stopped Lawler from climbing the ladder. On the January 31 episode of Raw, the Raw general manager announced a Raw Rumble match, to determine the WWE Championship contender at Elimination Chamber, while the losing participants would be entered into an Elimination Chamber match to determine who will face the WWE Champion at WrestleMania XXVII. The participants were CM Punk, Randy Orton, King Sheamus, John Morrison, John Cena, Jerry Lawler, and R-Truth. Lawler last eliminated Sheamus to win the battle royal to earn himself the title match, while the other six contestants went on to participate in the Raw Elimination Chamber match.
At the Royal Rumble, Alberto Del Rio won the eponymous match to earn himself a World Championship match at WrestleMania. He subsequently announced he would wrestle for the World Heavyweight Championship, held at the time by Edge. Edge was then embroiled in a feud with Dolph Ziggler and his on-screen ex-wife Vickie Guerrero, who was also scripted to be dating Ziggler. The week before the Elimination Chamber Edge and Kelly Kelly defeated Ziggler and LayCool, causing Guerrero to fire Kelly Kelly. Kelly Kelly was rehired by Teddy Long, Vickie was attacked by Kelly, who was only to be stopped by Laycool, in turn was stopped by Trish Stratus. On the final episode of SmackDown before the pay-per-view, acting general manager Guerrero stripped Edge of the championship and awarded it to Ziggler, only for Theodore Long, the real general manager, to give Edge a return match which he won. After this, Long fired Ziggler leaving an open spot in the Elimination Chamber match (which was subsequently filled by Big Show). The other participants were Kane, Rey Mysterio, Wade Barrett and Drew McIntyre. After that event, Edge and Kelly Kelly defeated Drew McIntyre and Vickie Guerrero thus making Theodore Long fire Vickie Guerrero as the official consultant of SmackDown.
Next was the Elimination Chamber match for the World Heavyweight Championship involving Edge, Rey Mysterio, Kane, Drew McIntyre, Big Show and Wade Barrett. Edge and Mysterio started the match. Barrett entered at #3, Kane entered at #4, McIntyre entered at #5 and Big Show enteredat #6. Barrett was eliminated by Big Show after a KO Punch. Big Show was eliminated by Kane after a Chokeslam. McIntyre was eliminated by Kane after a Chokeslam. Kane was eliminated by Edge after a Spear. Edge executed a Spear on Mysterio for a near-fall. Mysterio executed a 619 and a Slingshot Splash on Edge for a near-fall. Mysterio executed another 619 and leapt off the top rope but Edge performed a Spear on Mysterio in mid-air to eliminate him and retain the title. After the match, Alberto Del Rio attacked Edge but Christian returned and attacked Del Rio, ending the attack with a Killswitch.
In the fourth match, The Miz faced Jerry Lawler for the WWE Championship. During the match, Lawler performed a Diving Fist Drop on Miz but Miz placed his foot on the bottom rope to void the pinfall. The Miz performed a Skull Crushing Finale on Lawler to retain the title.
The main event was an Elimination Chamber match for a WWE Championship match at Wrestlemania XXVII between CM Punk, Randy Orton, King Sheamus, John Morrison, John Cena and R-Truth. Sheamus and Morrison started the match while the other four men were locked inside pods. Orton entered at #3 and Punk entered at #4 but Punk's pod would not open, allowing Orton to attack Punk. Punk was eliminated by Orton after an RKO but the Anonymous Raw General Manager announced that Punk would re-enter the match. Cena entered at #4 and R-Truth entered at #5. R-Truth was eliminated by Sheamus after a Brogue Kick. Punk entered at #6 and eliminated Orton after a GTS. Sheamus was eliminated by Morrison after a Crossbody from the top of the chamber. Morrison was eliminated by Punk after a GTS. Cena eliminated Punk after an Attitude Adjustment onto the chamber floor to win a WWE Championship match at Wrestlemania XXVII.
After becoming #1 Contender to the WWE Championship, John Cena faced The Miz for the title at WrestleMania XXVII. The match ended in a double count-out but The Rock used his power as WrestleMania host to restart the match under no disqualifications and no count-outs. The Miz defeated Cena to retain the WWE Championship after The Rock hit Cena with a Rock Bottom. This would lead both Cena and The Rock to challenge each other to a match at WrestleMania XXVIII.
After Elimination Chamber, Edge defended the World Heavyweight Championship against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII where Edge retained. On April 11, Edge retired from wrestling due to a legit neck injury and relinquished the World Heavyweight Championship on April 15 episode of Smackdown!, thus retiring as World Champion. Edge's best friend Christian would go on to win the vacant title against Del Rio at Extreme Rules.
Elimination Chamber garnered positive reviews, with The Sun stating "... it became obvious that the winners on the night would be Alberto Del Rio, The Corre, The Miz, Edge and John Cena — with Cena versus Miz and Edge versus Del Rio set to headline Mania. But a paint-by-numbers set of results should not take anything away from a terrifically put together PPV with at least one outstanding match, several good ones and a couple of extra surprises thrown in." They praised both of the chamber matches, giving the SmackDown chamber a 9.5 out of 10 and the Raw chamber an 8.5 out of 10 and stated that the Lawler/Miz Match was "... hardly a classic, but it was more than passable, and gave it a 7.5 out of 10. However, they stated, "However, during the first match, one of the most negative aspects of the show reared its ugly head — the downright annoying commentary trio of Michael Cole, Booker T and Josh Matthews. The addition of Booker ahead of Matt Striker and the lack of Jerry Lawler — since he was wrestling on the show — meant it was not an easy night on the ears for the viewer." The event received an 8.5 out of 10 rating.
|1D||Daniel Bryan (c) defeated Ted DiBiase Jr. by submission||Singles match for the WWE United States Championship||N/A|
|2||Alberto Del Rio (with Ricardo Rodriguez) defeated Kofi Kingston by submission||Singles match||10:30|
|3||Edge (c) defeated Rey Mysterio, Kane, Drew McIntyre, Big Show, and Wade Barrett||Elimination Chamber match for the World Heavyweight Championship||31:30|
|4||The Corre (Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel) (with Ezekiel Jackson) defeated Santino Marella and Vladimir Kozlov (c) (with Tamina Snuka)||Tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship||5:08|
|5||The Miz (c) (with Alex Riley) defeated Jerry Lawler||Singles match for the WWE Championship||12:10|
|6||John Cena defeated CM Punk, John Morrison, Sheamus, Randy Orton, and R-Truth||Elimination Chamber match for a WWE Championship match at WrestleMania XXVII||33:12|
Elimination Chamber entrances and eliminations (SmackDown)
|Eliminated||Wrestler||Entered||Eliminated by||Method of elimination||Time|
|1||Wade Barrett||3||Big Show||Pinned after a KO Punch||18:48|
|2||Big Show||6||Kane||Pinned after a chokeslam||20:54|
|3||Drew McIntyre||5||Kane||Pinned after a chokeslam||21:09|
|4||Kane||4||Edge||Pinned after a spear||22:50|
|5||Rey Mysterio||2||Edge||Pinned after a spear in midair||31:30|
Elimination Chamber entrances and eliminations (Raw)
|Eliminated||Wrestler||Entered||Eliminated by||Method of elimination||Time|
|1||R-Truth||5||Sheamus||Pinned after a Brogue Kick||17:31|
|2||Randy Orton||3||CM Punk||Pinned after a G.T.S.||21:33|
|3||Sheamus||1||John Morrison||Pinned after a Crossbody from the top of the chamber||25:16|
|4||John Morrison||2||CM Punk||Pinned after a G.T.S.||32:50|
|5||CM Punk||6||John Cena||Pinned after an Attitude Adjustment onto the chamber floor.||33:12|
- "Elimination Chamber: "Ignition" by TobyMac is the official theme song for WWE Elimination Chamber". World Wrestling Entertainment. Archived from the original on 2011-02-04. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- "Recent WWE attendance figures (2/20 and 2/21)". Wrestleview. Archived from the original on 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "Elimination Chamber 2010 results". Pro Wrestling History. Retrieved 2011-03-19.
- "WWE Germany". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Elimination Chamber opening
- "Elimination Chamber". Oracle Arena. Archived from the original on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2010-11-27.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on 2013-11-18. Retrieved March 5, 2012.
- "Live & Televised Entertainment". WWE. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- "WWE to make Raw and SmackDown! distinct TV brands" (Press release). WWE. March 27, 2002. Archived from the original on April 17, 2010. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Caldwell, James (2011-02-20). "WWE News: Detailed Elimination Chamber PPV preview - match line-up, back-story on top matches, perspective on 2010 title changes". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- Plummer, Dale (2010-11-29). "RAW: King of the Ring crowned". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- Hillhouse, Dave (February 26, 2011). "Smackdown: Some water is thicker than blood". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- Hillhouse, Dave (2011-02-19). "Smackdown: 600 birthday smacks". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- McNichol, Rob (2011-02-21). "By process of Elimination". The Sun. London.
- Caldwell, James (2011-02-20). "Caldwell's WWE Elimination Chamber PPV Results 2/20: Complete "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Miz vs. Lawler, two Chamber matches". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "WWE News: Chamber PPV dark match result - U.S. champion vs. DiBiase, three announcers revealed for live PPV". Pro Wrestling Torch. February 20, 2011. Retrieved December 17, 2011.
- "Results:Destined for greatness". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Results:Steel survivor". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Results:The Corre of Victory". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Results:Kingbreaker". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Results:Oakland raider". World Wrestling Entertainment. Retrieved 2011-02-20.