|Born||5 April 1964|
Sheema District, Uganda
|Alma mater||Makerere University|
(Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery)
Case Western Reserve University
(Master of Science in epidemiology)
|Occupation||Physician, epidemiologist, politician|
|Years active||since 1990|
Elioda Tumwesigye is a Ugandan politician, physician, and epidemiologist who has served as minister of science, technology and innovation in the cabinet of Uganda since June 2016. From March 2015 until June 2016, he served as the minister of health.
Tumwesigye has been the elected member of parliament representing Sheema Municipality in Sheema District, since 2018.From 25 July 2013 to 28 February 2015, he served as state minister for health (general duties). He was promoted to minister of health on 1 March 2015, taking a slot left vacant since 18 September 2014.
Background and education
Tumwesigye was born in Sheema District on 5 April 1964 to Yekonia Kasyamutwe and Esteeri Kasyamutwe. He was their second child. He attended Ntare School for his O-Level education, graduating in 1981, and for his A-Level studies where he was elected Head Boy, and later graduated in 1984 as the third best performing student in the country. He obtained a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree from Makerere University in 1990. While attending Makerere, he started the Sheema University Student's Association, which was still active as of March 2015. He was also elected health secretary of University Hall, a men's hall of residence at Makerere. In 1997, he obtained a Master of Science in epidemiology from Case Western Reserve University.
From 1990 until 2001, he worked as a medical officer at the Uganda Ministry of Health, serving in the Epidemiology Studies Unit during the last four years. In 2001, he contested the parliamentary seat of Sheema County North, in Sheema District, on the National Resistance Movement political party ticket. He won and was re-elected in 2006 and 2011.
- Uganda State House (6 June 2016). "Museveni's new cabinet list At 6 June 2016" (PDF). Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Presidential Press Unit (1 March 2015). "President Museveni announces new Cabinet". Entebbe: Uganda State House. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- "Tumwesigye wins Sheema municipality MP race". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 23 April 2019.
- Nakajubi, Gloria (25 July 2013). "New Health Minister Tumwesigye Reports for Work". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Uganda State House (1 March 2015). "Full Cabinet List As At 1 March 2015" (PDF). Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Newvision, Reporter (19 September 2014). "Ruhakana Rugunda New Prime Minister". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- POU. "Profile of Tumwesigye Elioda, Member of Parliament for Sheema County North, Sheema District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Archived from the original on 23 October 2015. Retrieved 1 March 2015.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)