Elise Depew Strang L'Esperance (1878–1958) was an American pathologist and physician, a pioneer in establishing a preventive model of cancer treatment. She was a pathologist noted for establishing cancer prevention clinics in New York. She founded two clinics: the Strang Tumor Clinic in 1932 and the Strang Cancer Prevention Clinic in 1937, which operated out of the New York Infirmary. In 1940, L'Esperance opened a second branch of the Strang Cancer Prevention Clinic at the Memorial Center for Cancer and Allied Diseases. During her medical career, L'Esperance published her research prolifically, credited for approximately 30 articles in medical journals.
Early life and education
Elise L'Esperance was born in Yorktown, New York to Albert Strang, a physician, and Kate Depew Strang. Inspired by her father, she pursued a career in medicine and attended the Woman's Medical College of the New York Infirmary for Women and Children, earning her M.D. there in 1900. Interested in pediatrics, L'Esperance spent a year working at Babies Hospital in New York. She then worked for two years at a private pediatric practice in Detroit, Michigan.
In 1908, she turned to medical research. In 1920, she became professor of pathology at Cornell University Medical College. In 1948-1949, she was president of the American Medical Women's Association. In 1946, she was the first editor of the Journal of the American Medical Women's Association.
- "Dr Elise Depew Strang L'Esperance". https://www.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 18 March 2015. External link in
- Shearer, Barbara S., ed. (1996). Notable Women in the Life Sciences: A Biographical Dictionary (1. publ. ed.). Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press. ISBN 978-0313293023.
- Windsor, Laura Lynn (2002). Women in Medicine: An Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p. 128. ISBN 978-1-57607-392-6.
- Oakes, Elizabeth H. (2007). Encyclopedia of World Scientists. Infobase Publishing. p. 446. ISBN 978-1-4381-1882-6.
- Sicherman, Barbara (1980). Notable American Women: The Modern Period: a Biographical Dictionary. Harvard University Press. pp. 417–418. ISBN 978-0-674-62733-8.
- "Elise Strang L'Esperance: Pioneer in Cancer Prevention and Recipient of Lasker Award" (PDF). AAI Newsletter. January–February 2012.
- "Elise Strang L'Esperance, MD". American Medical Women's Association. Retrieved 2016-05-10.
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|