In 1954 her sister had an ostomy operation (a procedure that takes the end of the intestine out through the abdomen, allowing waste to exit via a surgically created stoma). After the operation, Sørensen's sister was uncomfortable going outside due to fear that stoma might leak, due to the metal/glass capsules or fabric/rubber bags that people used at the time.
- "Dansk Kvindebiografisk Leksikon - Elise Sørensen". www.kvinfo.dk. 2003-05-15. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Fazio, Victor W.; Church, James M.; Wu, James S. (2012). Atlas of Intestinal Stomas. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 3. ISBN 9780387788500. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Elise Sørensen". gravsted.dk. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Coloplast. "Forward together with healthcare professionals everywhere". www.coloplast.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- Stokowski, Laura A. (June 6, 2014). "Quiz: A Nurse Invented That? Inventiveness, Ingenuity, and Innovation in Nurses". Medscape. Retrieved 2018-07-27.
- "Sørensen, Elise". Guideservice Denmark.