Elizabeth A. Wolford
Elizabeth A. Wolford
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York|
|Assumed office |
December 17, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Charles J. Siragusa|
|Born||December 17, 1966|
Buffalo, New York
|Education||Colgate University (B.A.)|
Notre Dame Law School (J.D.)
Elizabeth A. Wolford (born December 17, 1966) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York. She is the first female judge to serve in the Western District.
Wolford was born in 1966, in Buffalo, New York. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1989, from Colgate University. She received a Juris Doctor in 1992, from the University of Notre Dame Law School. Upon graduation from law school she joined the recently formed The Wolford Law Firm LLP as a partner, spending her entire career in private practice at that firm. Her practice was concentrated in the areas of commercial, employment and personal injury litigation before both federal and state courts. She served as President of the Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys from 2003 to 2004 and as President of the Foundation of the Monroe County Bar from 2010 to 2012.
Federal judicial service
On May 16, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Wolford to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York, to the seat vacated by Judge Charles J. Siragusa, who took senior status on December 15, 2012. The Senate Judiciary Committee reported her nomination to the full Senate on August 1, 2013 by voice vote. On December 12, 2013, the U.S. Senate voted 55–41 for cloture on Wolford's nomination, cutting off a Republican-led filibuster. The Senate then confirmed her in a 70–29 vote later that same day. She received her judicial commission on December 17, 2013.
- MyLife.com profile
- Making History: President Obama’s Female Judicial Nominees, Alliance for Justice (June 11, 2013).
- ""First Female Judge is on Horizon for WNY" The Buffalo News".
- "President Obama Nominates Three to Serve on the United States District Court". 16 May 2013.
- "Wolford, Elizabeth Ann – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 1st Session". www.senate.gov.
- Elizabeth A. Wolford at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Elizabeth A. Wolford at Ballotpedia
Charles J. Siragusa
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York
|This biography of a judge in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|