|Born||December 2, 1948|
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Minnesota|
Elizabeth Berg (born December 2, 1948) is an American novelist.
Berg was born in Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA, and lived in Boston prior to her residence in Chicago. She studied English and Humanities at the University of Minnesota, but later ended up with a nursing degree [clarification needed]. Her writing career started when she won an essay contest in Parents magazine. Since her debut novel in 1993, her novels have sold in large numbers and have received several awards and nominations, even though some critics have tagged them as sentimental. She won the New England Book Awards in 1997.
The three novels Durable Goods, Joy School, and True to Form form a trilogy about the 12-year-old Katie Nash, in part based on the author's own experience as a daughter in a military family. Most recently, her essay "The Pretend Knitter" appears in the anthology Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting, published by W. W. Norton & Company in November 2013.
- Family traditions: celebrations for holidays and everyday (1992), illustrations by Robert Roth
- Durable Goods (1993), selected as ALA Best Books of the Year
- Talk Before Sleep (1994), highlighting the fight against breast cancer
- Range of Motion (1995)
- The Pull of the Moon (1996)
- Joy School (1997), selected among the ALA 1998 Best Books for Young Adults
- What We Keep (1998)
- Escaping into the Open: The Art of Writing True (1999), non-fiction
- Until the Real Thing Comes Along (1999), about a woman's love for a gay man
- Open House (2000), Oprah's Book Club selection
- Never Change (2001)
- Ordinary Life: stories (2002)
- True to Form (2002)
- Say When (2003)
- The Art of Mending (2004)
- The Year of Pleasures (2005)
- The Handmaid and the Carpenter (2006)
- We Are All Welcome Here (2006)
- Dream When You're Feeling Blue (2007)
- The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted (2008)
- Home Safe (2009)
- The Last Time I Saw You (2010)
- Once Upon a Time, There Was You (2011)
- Tapestry of Fortunes (2013)
- The Dream Lover (2015)
- Make Someone Happy: Favorite Postings (2016)
- The Story of Arthur Truluv (2017)
- Night of Miracles (2018)
- The Confession Club (2019)
- I'll Be Seeing You: a Memoir (2020)
- Earth's the Right Place for Love (2023)
- Berg, Elizabeth (1999). Escaping into the open : the art of writing true (1st ed.). New York: HarperCollins. ISBN 0060191791. OCLC 40675000.
- "About Elizabeth". www.elizabeth-berg.net. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- "Elizabeth Berg on 'Tapestry of Fortunes'".
- The New England Book Awards Archived 2009-02-14 at the Wayback Machine, New England Independent Booksellers Association, retrieved on January 7, 2009.
- 1998 Best Books for Young Adults Archived 2010-02-10 at the Wayback Machine, Young Adult Library Services Association, ALA website, retrieved on January 7, 2009.