This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
20 October 1967 |
Middlesbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire, England
Elizabeth Carling (born 20 October 1967 in Middlesbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire) is an English actress and singer best known for her performances in Boon, Goodnight Sweetheart, Barbara, and Casualty. In 1991 Carling was briefly engaged to Neil Morrissey, whom she met while working on the ITV drama Boon and with whom she also appeared in an episode of BBC sitcom Men Behaving Badly.
On 9 August 2009, it was announced that Carling was due to tour the UK from the end of August in a theatre production of Absurd Person Singular.
As of February 2010, she starred in the theatre production of I Ought to Be in Pictures. In 2016, she narrated the second series of Bear Grylls: Mission Survive on ITV. Carling also appeared on "Our Girl on BBC1 on September 7th 2016.
Carling is a fan of her local team Middlesbrough F.C. and attends some games.
Film & television roles
Our Girl BBC1 (7th Sep 2016)
- Vera (15 May 2011)
- The Damned United: (UK sports drama movie, released 2009) as Barbara Clough, playing the role of the wife of Brian Clough (played by Michael Sheen) in a film focusing on events from 1967 to 1974 when Brian Clough was manager of Derby County and finally with his ill-fated 44 days in charge of Leeds United.
- Casualty: (2003, 2004-2007) In March 2003 she joined the cast of Casualty for a six week run playing consultant neurologist Selena Donovan. The character was brought back in 2004 at the start of the show’s ninteeth season. Carling remained in the role for three full years, departing at the end of the twenty first season in 2007 when her character was killed off in a dramatic shooting.
- Goodnight Sweetheart: In 1997–99, she took over the role of Phoebe Bamford (later to become Phoebe Sparrow) in the last three series of the time travel sitcom Goodnight Sweetheart. The part was originally played by Dervla Kirwan. After the series, she released an album of war-time covers also titled Goodnight Sweetheart. Phoebe Sparrow is one of her favourite roles. It returned for a special edition in 2016 with Carling reprising the role of Phoebe. Carling also appeared in Our Girl on BBC1 on 7 September 2016.
- Border Cafe: TV mini-series in 2000 with Sean Gallagher.
- Barbara: as Linda, the daughter of the eponymous matriarch in the ITV sitcom Barbara. She appeared in 24 of the series' 29 episodes, from 1999–2003, playing opposite her on-screen husband, Martin Pond (Mark Benton).
- Crocodile Shoes II: as Wendy, the fiancee of Jed Shepperd. She appeared in all six episodes of the six part series (screened on BBC One in 1996).
- Boon: as Laura Marsh, assistant to Ken Boon, in the ITV private investigator series Boon. She appeared in 40 episodes of Series 4, 5 and 6, from 1989–91. This was her first major TV role.
- The Bill: as Miss White, the hotel receptionist, in the 1987 episode "Overnight Stay".
- Bear Grylls: Mission Survive as Narrator, series 2 onwards
Elizabeth Carling has recently narrated a documentary on C4 called "Who Killed Scarlett?"
- McCaffrey, Julie (2007-08-03). "Liz Carling's Casualty exit". Retrieved 2016-09-13.