Elizabeth Ray DeLong is an American biostatistician. She is a professor of biostatistics and bioinformatics at Duke University, where she chairs the Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics and is affiliated with the Duke Clinical Research Institute and Duke Cancer Institute. Her interests in the applications of statistics include outcomes research and comparative effectiveness research, and she has also published highly-cited work in mathematical statistics on nonparametric methods for comparing the areas under correlated receiver operating characteristic curves.
DeLong graduated from the University of Maine in 1969, and earned a master's degree there in 1970. She completed her Ph.D. in 1979 at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Her dissertation, supervised by Pranab K. Sen, was Estimation of General Parameters using Progressively Truncated U-Statistics.
After completing her doctorate, she joined Duke as a statistician in Community and Family Medicine and in the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center in 1979. In 1987, she left academia to work in industry as directory of biostatistics at Quintiles, but returned as an assistant professor in Community and Family Medicine in 1991, and added a joint appointment in Anesthesiology in 1996. In 2001 she moved to the Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics. She has been chair of the department since 2007.
- "Elizabeth Ray DeLong, Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics", Scholars@Duke, Duke University, retrieved 2017-11-22
- DeLong, Elizabeth R.; DeLong, David M.; Clarke-Pearson, Daniel L. (September 1988), "Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach", Biometrics, 44 (3): 837, doi:10.2307/2531595, JSTOR 2531595
- "Dr. Elizabeth DeLong", Women in Duke Medicine: An oral history exhibit, Duke University, retrieved 2017-11-22. See also the linked interview with DeLong, dated October 21, 2010.
- Theses and Dissertations, UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, retrieved 2017-11-22
- ASA Fellows list, American Statistical Association, archived from the original on 2017-12-01, retrieved 2017-11-22