Elizabeth Mansfield (mathematician)
Elizabeth Louise Mansfield FIMA is an Australian mathematician whose research includes the study of moving frames and conservation laws for discretisations of physical systems. She is a Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, and was the first female full professor of mathematics at the University of Kent. She was one of the founding co-editors of the LMS Journal of Computation and Mathematics, a journal published by the London Mathematical Society from 1998 to 2015.
Mansfield obtained her Ph.D. from the University of Sydney in 1991. Her dissertation, Differential Gröbner Bases, was supervised by Edward Douglas Fackerell. At the University of Kent, she is a professor in the School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science.
Mansfield is one of the namesakes of the Estevez–Mansfield–Clarkson equation. She is the author of a book on the method of moving frames, A Practical Guide to the Invariant Calculus (Cambridge Monographs on Applied and Computational Mathematics 26, Cambridge University Press, 2012). In 2018, she organized the Noether Celebration in London, a conference concerning the works of Emmy Noether, whom Mansfield cites as an inspiration for her own work.
- Scientific advisory committee, Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute, retrieved 2018-10-13
- Professor Elizabeth Mansfield Recognised by the Institute of Mathematics and Its Applications, University of Kent, 28 June 2018, retrieved 2018-10-13
- LMS Journal of Computation and Mathematics, London Mathematical Society, retrieved 2018-10-13
- Elizabeth Mansfield at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Yan, Zhen-Ya (2002), "Abundant symmetries and exact compacton-like structures in the two-parameter family of the Estevez–Mansfield–Clarkson equations", Communications in Theoretical Physics, 37 (1): 27–34, doi:10.1088/0253-6102/37/1/27, MR 1926217
- Reviews of A Practical Guide to the Invariant Calculus:
- "Celebrate the mathematics of Emmy Noether", Nature, 561: 149–150, 12 September 2018, doi:10.1038/d41586-018-06658-w