Dr Elizabeth Wood-Ellem (10 September 1930 – 8 September 2012) was a Tongan-born Australian historian actively engaged in the life of Tonga and author of the definitive biography of Queen Sālote Tupou III of Tonga.
Birth and family
Born Elizabeth Olive Wood near Nuku'alofa, Tonga, she was often known as Bess or Pesi Wood. She was a daughter of Reverend Dr A. Harold Wood OBE (1896–1989), a renowned Methodist then Uniting Church minister and educator, and medical Dr Olive K. Wood (née O'Reilly), who were Australian missionaries in Tonga 1924-37. She had five brothers and sisters, including Janet Secomb, Monica Maughan and Rev. Dr H. D'Arcy Wood.
Moving to Australia in 1937, Elizabeth was educated Methodist Ladies' College in Melbourne where, in her final year, she topped the state in Greek and Roman History.
At Melbourne University, she majored in English and History, gaining a BA in 1953, and would later undertake her PhD there.
Wood-Ellem earned her living as a book editor and indexer, initially at Angus & Robertson in Sydney, then London (1960-1972) with Macmillan and Paul Hamlyn, and later worked freelance. She was also appointed an archivist at King's College, Cambridge University, to sort and catalogue the papers of British novelist E. M. Forster after his death in 1970. Churchill College, Cambridge, then engaged her, as Assistant Librarian for Archives, to catalogue Sir James Grigg's papers and A.V. Alexander's correspondence.
She completed a PhD in Tongan history in 1982 at the University of Melbourne and remained a Senior Fellow there at the time of her death. She published her biography of Queen Sālote of Tonga in 1999.
- Wood-Ellem, Elizabeth (1999). Queen Sālote of Tonga: The Story of an Era, 1900–1965. Auckland, N.Z.: Auckland University Press. ISBN 978-1-86940-205-1. OCLC 262293605.
Notable books she edited include:
- The Songs and Poems of Queen Sālote (2004)
- Tonga and the Tongans: Heritage and Identity (2007)
- Tongan royal historian Dr Elizabeth Wood-Ellem dies, (11 September 2012, 17:29 AEST), Radio Australia
- Wood, H. D'Arcy; Ball, O. (5 October 2012). "Historian lauded for book on Pacific". The Age (Melbourne: Fairfax Media). Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- Newell, William (2004-04-01), "Elizabeth Wood-Ellem. Queen Salote of Tonga: The Story of an Era, 1900-1965.(Book Review)", The Australian Journal of Anthropology (Australian Anthropological Society) 15 (1): 122(2), ISSN 1035-8811