Elk Grove High School (Elk Grove, California)
|Elk Grove High School|
|Elk Grove, California|
|School district||Elk Grove Unified School District|
|Superintendent||Steven M. Ladd, Ed.D.|
|Mascot||The Thundering Herd|
Elk Grove High School or EGHS, is a public four-year high school located in Elk Grove, California,in the United States. It is part of the Elk Grove Unified School District, which also includes Cosumnes Oaks High School, Florin High School, Franklin High School, Laguna Creek High School, Monterey Trail High School, Pleasant Grove High School, Sheldon High School, and Valley High School.
Elk Grove Union High School was the first union high school in the state of California. Sixteen elementary districts voted to tax themselves for a high school, and they all remained as separate districts until the entire K-12 district unified in 1959. The high school opened its doors in 1893 at its first site on Main Street (now Derr Street and Elk Grove Boulevard in Old Town). In 1922, a new brick building was constructed on the corner of Elk Grove Boulevard and Elk Grove Florin, where the Joseph Kerr Middle School campus is today. In 1964 a new campus was built closer to Elk Grove Park to move overcrowded high schoolers from the small campus. When the school was moved to its present location it was as a three-year senior high school with grades 7-9 at the junior high. Elk Grove is the second oldest high school in Sacramento County. Until 1977, Elk Grove High was the only comprehensive high school in the district. According to Newsweek Magazine's Elk Grove High School has ranked in the top 5% of the nations high schools from 2006–present. In April 2009, Elk Grove High School was awarded the California Distinguished School award.
Elk Grove High school is home of the Thundering Herd and is well regarded for its superior football and baseball programs. The Thundering Herd football program has won 15 conference championships and five Division 1 championships. Lance Briggs, a linebacker for the Chicago Bears, is an EGHS Football alumnus. In 1997 the Herd's baseball team was ranked #9 in the nation by Baseball America. To date Elk Grove has had nine alumni make it to the Major Leagues. Although Elk Grove has many rivalries within the DVC and throughout the state, their true rivals are the Nevada Union High School Miners
- Spencer Levin - PGA golf professional
- Lance Briggs - Former linebacker for the Chicago Bears
- Matt Kopa - Former offensive tackle for the New England Patriots
- Kenny Wiggins - Former offensive tackle for the San Diego Chargers
- Bill Cartwright - Former center for the Chicago Bulls
- Ryan Dinwiddie - CFL quarterback for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Mike Fischlin - Former MLB shortstop, Houston Astros, Cleveland Indians, New York Yankees, Atlanta Braves
- Marcus Riley - Linebacker for the St. Louis Rams
- Stephanie Cox - USA Women's Soccer Team
- Adrian Ross - Former NFL player, Cincinnati Bengals
- Jason McDonald - Former MLB outfielder, Oakland A's
- John "Buck" Martinez – Former Major League catcher for the Kansas City Royals (1969–1977), Milwaukee Brewers (1977–1980) and Toronto Blue Jays (1980–1986), Manager Blue Jays (2000–2002), Field Manager Team USA (2006) and current Television baseball commentator
- Scott Boras - Sports Agent
- Chris Robyn - Drummer for the band Far
- Shaun Lopez - Lead Guitarist for the band Far. Founding member of the band The Revolution Smile. Co-Founder of the band Crosses.
- Jeff Jaworski - Founding member of the punk band Red Tape. Lead singer for Will Haven from 2007-2009.
- Anthony 'Pag' Paganelli - 2nd Guitarist for Will Haven. Lead singer and guitarist for the band Horseneck. Played guitar in the bands Tenfold and Shortie.
- Jason Jiménez - Former Major League pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays and Detroit Tigers
- Scott Smith (fighter) - professional mixed martial artist, former WEC Light Heavyweight Champion
- David Hernandez (baseball) - Pitcher for Arizona Diamondbacks
- David Dodds - Sales (Foxy Boxing Enthusiast)
- Jonathan Angel - Actor
- Cathy Guy 2004–present
- Frank Lucia 1997-2004
- LuAnn Boone 1996-1997
- Paula Duncan 1989-1996
- Leonard M. Landsborough, early landowner, ran for school trustee