Elk Neck State Park
|Elk Neck State Park|
|Maryland State Park|
|Elevation||118 ft (36 m) |
|Area||2,191 acres (887 ha) |
|Management||Maryland Department of Natural Resources|
|IUCN category||V - Protected Landscape/Seascape|
|Nearest city||North East, Maryland|
|Website: Elk Neck State Park|
Elk Neck State Park is a state-owned, public recreation area at the southern tip of the Elk Neck Peninsula in Cecil County, Maryland. The state park offers both land- and water-based recreation, with shoreline on both Chesapeake Bay and the Elk River, and is home to the historic Turkey Point Light. It is located on MD 272, eight miles (13 km) south of the town of North East, and 13 miles (21 km) south of exit 100 on I-95.
Features, activities and amenities
- Turkey Point Lighthouse
Dating from 1833, the Turkey Point Lighthouse sits on a 100-foot (30 m) bluff overlooking the Upper Chesapeake Bay. The 35-foot (11 m) tower is a "private aid to navigation" maintained by a non-profit organization, Turkey Point Light Station, Inc., which offers weekend tours seasonally.
The park offers more than 250 campsites, rustic cabins, camper cabins, and youth group sites.
The park has 12 miles (19 km) of trails for hiking and biking.
|White Banks Trail||3 miles (4.8 km)||Difficult|
|Mauldin Mountain Loop||1.5 miles (2.4 km)||Difficult|
|Pond Loop||1 mile (1.6 km)||Moderate|
|Farm Road Trail||1 mile (1.6 km)||Moderate|
|Beaver Marsh Loop||4 miles (6.4 km)||Difficult|
|Lighthouse Trail||2 miles (3.2 km)||Easy|
|Ravines Loop||.75 miles (1.2 km)||Moderate|
- Water recreation
In popular culture
- "Elk Neck State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Fiscal Year 2014 DNR Owned Lands Acreage" (PDF). Maryland Department of Natural Resources. December 18, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "Elk Neck State Park". Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- Olson, D.M.; Dinerstein, E.; et al. (2001). "Terrestrial Ecoregions of the World: A New Map of Life on Earth". BioScience. 51 (11): 933–938. doi:10.1641/0006-3568(2001)051[0933:TEOTWA]2.0.CO;2.
- Duvall, Mike W. "History: Turkey Point Light Station". Turkey Point Light Station, Inc. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- "Elk Neck River Camping Area". Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "Elk Neck Trails" (PDF). Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "North East Beach Area and Picnic Shelters". Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "Rogues Harbor Boat Launch Facility". Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "Absolute Power (1997) Filming Locations". IMDB. Retrieved July 16, 2015.
- "Absolute Power (1997)". Movie Tourist. August 26, 2012. Retrieved May 17, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elk Neck State Park.|