County Road 17 (Elkhart County, Indiana)
|Maintained by Elkhart County Highway Department|
|Length:||23.08 mi (37.14 km)|
|South end:||Kosciusko CR 200|
| US 6
US 33 near Dunlap
US 20 at Elkhart
SR 120 at Elkhart
I-80 / I-90 / Indiana Toll Road at Elkhart
|North end:||M-217 at Michigan state line|
|Elkhart County Roads|
Elkhart County Road 17 (CR 17) is a north–south artery in Elkhart County, Indiana. It is currently undergoing improvements to become a four lane divided road with non-limited traffic. Elkhart County Road 17 starts at the state line, connecting with state highway M-217 in Michigan. The roadway crosses into Indiana and becomes Elkhart County Road 17. Currently the improved section of CR 17 ends between CR 40 and CR 38 (CR 17 continues south in its original configuration, as part of Elkhart County's grid-numbered county road system, becoming North County Road 200 West at the Kosciusko County border). The portion of CR 17 between U.S. Route 20 and the Indiana Toll Road (Interstate 80/90) is part of the National Highway System, the only county highway in Indiana on the system.
CR 17 southern terminus is at the Kosciusko-Elkhart County Line. From the southern terminus CR 17 heads due north, 1.0 mile (1.6 km) north of the southern terminus is US 6. Then 7.1 miles (11.4 km) north of US 6, CR 17 meets CR 40. North of CR 40, the road becomes a four-lane divided highway before CR 38. At CR 38, the route has a traffic light and curves to the northwest, followed by a traffic light at State Road 119 (SR 119). North of SR 119, the route curves due north and becomes limited accesses passing over CR 32 and CR 30. The highway has a traffic light at CR 28, CR 28 links CR 17 and US 33. After CR 28 is a traffic light with Rieth Boulevard, which also provides access to US 33. North of CR 28, the route passes over US 33 and the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks. After the bridge is a traffic light with an access road to CR 45, followed by a bridge over CR 45 and the Elkhart River. After the river the road passes under CR 26. East of Elkhart CR 17 has an interchange with U.S. Route 20 and an intersection with State Road 120. Then in northeast Elkhart CR 17 has an interchange with I-80/I-90/Indiana Toll Road. The portion of CR 17 north of the Indiana Toll Road, along with M-217, is known as the Michiana Parkway. The northern terminus is north of the Indiana Toll Road at the Michigan State Line.
The planning for CR 17 goes back to the 1960s when the state of Indiana planned a bypass of US 33 around the southwest side Goshen; this project was never built. Then in the 1980s a plan to connect the Indiana Toll Road with east side of Elkhart was planned. The project involved replacing some of Elkhart County Road 6. When the project on CR 6 was completed, a need for a north-south corridor in Elkhart County became a problem. Elkhart County choose Elkhart County Road 17 as the north-south corridor. The first section opened in the 1990s near the Michigan state line. The section near US 33 opened in 2005, with section in between being completed in sections. In October 2012, the new four-lane divided highway opened to traffic from just north of CR 40 to CR 28. The old two-lane highway between CR 38 and CR 18 is now known as Old CR 17.
The entire route is in Elkhart County.
|0.00||0.00||Kosciusko CR 200 West||Southern terminus of CR 17|
|0.99||1.59||US 6 – Nappanee, Ligonier|
|7.01||11.28||CR 40 – Waterford Mills, Wakarusa|
|7.68||12.36||South end of divided highway|
|8.02||12.91||CR 38 – Goshen, Wakarusa||No trucks allow eastbound|
|8.89||14.31||SR 119 – Wakarusa, Nappanee, Goshen|
|12.04||19.38||CR 28 to US 33 – Goshen, Dunlap, Elkhart|
|Concord Township||12.30||19.79||To US 33 / Rieth Boulevard – Dunlap|
|12.60||20.28||CR 45 / Lincoln Highway – Goshen, Elkhart|
|15.81||25.44||CR 18 – Elkhart|
|US 20 (St. Joseph Valley Parkway) – Elkhart|
|16.63||26.76||North end of divided highway|
|18.76||30.19||SR 120 – Elkhart, Bristol|
|21.30||34.28||I-80 / I-90 / Indiana Toll Road||Indiana Toll Road Exit 96|
|Washington Township||23.08||37.14||M-217 north||Northern terminus at state line|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- (Map). Cartography by NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas. Mapquest. 2013 http://mapq.st/YUgR3i. Retrieved March 27, 2013. Missing or empty
- Fiscal Year 2008-2013 Transportation Improvement Program Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine. (Elkhart County). Michiana Area Council of Governments.
- Michiana Regional Geographic Information System viewer. Michiana Area Council of Governments.
- (Map). Cartography by NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas. Mapquest. 2009 http://www.mapquest.com/. Retrieved 2009-04-29. Missing or empty
- National Highway System: Elkhart IN-MI [map]. Federal Highway Administration, August 2003.
- The National Highway System - Indiana. Federal Highway Administration.
- Logan, Tim (2002-09-24). "'Outstanding opportunity' ; Michiana Parkway to open Wednesday". South Bend Tribune. Retrieved 2009-04-23.
- "Michiana Parkway will benefit region". South Bend Tribune. 2002-10-06. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- Indiana Department of Transportation (August 23, 2011). Indiana Railroad Map (PDF) (Map). 1:633,600. Indianapolis: Indiana Department of Transportation. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Roger Schneider (October 11, 2012). "CR 17 extension set to open Friday". The Goshen News. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- Tim Ashley (September 25, 2012). "Southern Segment of CR 17 Project nearing Completion". The Paper. Goshen. p. 1. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
Route map: Google