The Todd County courthouse in the Elkton town square
Location of Elkton in Todd County, Kentucky.
|• Mayor||Jacqueline Boyd Weathers|
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||623 ft (190 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||2,136|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||270 & 364|
|GNIS feature ID||0491697|
The city was founded by Major John Gray and established by the state assembly in 1820. It is named for a nearby watering hole previously hosting a large elk herd. It was formally incorporated in 1843.
Elkton is located at (36.808926, -87.156377).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,984 people, 810 households, and 541 families residing in the city. The population density was 959.4 people per square mile (370.1/km²). There were 928 housing units at an average density of 448.8 per square mile (173.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 82.31% White, 15.68% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 1.21% from other races, and 0.35% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.32% of the population.
There were 810 households out of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.7% were married couples living together, 19.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.1% were non-families. 30.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.29 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the city, the population was spread out with 22.3% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 26.1% from 25 to 44, 21.3% from 45 to 64, and 21.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 80.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $24,924, and the median income for a family was $31,912. Males had a median income of $26,799 versus $20,134 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,297. About 15.7% of families and 17.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.9% of those under age 18 and 20.0% of those age 65 or over.
Sites of interest
- George Street Boone, constitutional scholar
- Benjamin Bristow, first Solicitor General of the United States and a former U.S. Treasury Secretary
- Francis Bristow, United States Representative from Kentucky
- James Clark McReynolds, former Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court
- Mary Louise Milliken Childs, great American philanthropist
- David Morton, poet
- Anthony New, Congressman, Representative
- Paul Rudolph, architect
- Jess Sweetser, first American-born golfer to win the British Amateur
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Elkton has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Summary and Reference Guide to House Bill 331 City Classification Reform" (PDF). Kentucky League of Cities. Retrieved December 30, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Dictionary of Places: Elkton". Encyclopedia of Kentucky. New York, New York: Somerset Publishers. 1987. ISBN 0-403-09981-1.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Elkton, Kentucky