The community's post office
Location of Elkton, Ohio
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-3)|
|GNIS feature ID||1064610|
Elkton is an unincorporated community located in central Elkrun Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, United States. Although it is unincorporated, Elkton has the ZIP code of 44415. It lies along State Route 154.
Elkton was platted in 1835. The community derives its name from nearby Elk Run creek. A post office called Elkton has been in operation since 1838. The community thrived due to its location on the Sandy and Beaver Canal, but was in decline by the late 1840s when the canal became unprofitable and was suspended.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Elkton
- McCord, William B. (1905). History of Columbiana County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 273.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press. p. 42.
- "Columbiana County". Jim Forte Postal History. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 10 January 2016.
- Mack, Horace (1879). History of Columbiana County, Ohio: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Unigraphic. p. 134.
|This Columbiana County, Ohio state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|