Ella, Sri Lanka
View from Ella across the valleys
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+6 (Summer time)|
Ella (Sinhala: ඇල්ල; Lit. "water fall"; Tamil: எல்ல) is a small town in the Badulla District of Uva Province, Sri Lanka governed by an Urban Council. It is approximately 200 kilometres (120 mi) east of Colombo and is situated at an elevation of 1,041 metres (3,415 ft) above sea level. The area has a rich bio-diversity, dense with numerous varieties of flora and fauna. Ella is surrounded by hills covered with cloud forests and tea plantations. The town has a cooler climate than surrounding lowlands, due to its elevation. The Ella Gap allows views across the southern plains of Sri Lanka.
Ella railway station is the 75th station on the Main Line and is located 271.03 km (168.41 mi) from Colombo. The station has one platform and all trains running on the Main Line stop at the station. The station opened in July 1918.
Notable government institutions are :
- Police station
- Railway station
- Main post office
- Dhowa temple, a 2,000-year-old rock temple, is located on the Badulla-Bandarawela Road. It contains a 12 metres (39 ft) unfinished Buddha statue carved into the surrounding rock.
- Bambaragala Peak
- Ella Rock
- Little Adam's Peak
- Ravana Ella Falls
- Nine Arches Bridge, Demodara
- Mahamevnawa Buddhist Monastery,Ella a branch of Mahamevnawa Buddhist Monastery, where people can learn Buddhism & practice meditation.
|Ethnicity||Population||% Of Total|
|Sri Lankan Tamils||802||1.8|
|Sri Lankan Moors||1,994||4.45|
|Other (including Burgher, Malay)||61||0.14|
Post and telephone
- Brinkhoff, Thomas (13 October 2012). "Ella (Divisional Secretariat)". City Population. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Ella". Sri Lanka Heritages Foundation. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Cook, Elsie Kathleen (1953). Ceylon: Its Geography, Its Resources and Its People. MacMillan. p. 90.
- Perera, G. F. (1925). The Ceylon Railway: The Story of Its Inception and Progress. Ceylon Observer. p. 284.
- "Population by ethnicity and district according to Divisional Secretary's Division, 2012" (PDF). Department of Census and Statistics - Sri Lanka. 2012. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Ella.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ella, Sri Lanka.|