Lemhagen at the 2013 Guldbagge Award.
|Born||Ella Elisabet Lemhagen
29 August 1965
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Ella Elisabet Lemhagen (born 29 August 1965 in Uppsala) is a Swedish film director and screenwriter. In 2012 she received the honorary award, Gullspira, for her outstanding work in youth culture on the Guldbagge Award (the Swedish equivalent to the Academy awards).
Lemhagen's first full-length movie was Drömprinsen- filmen om Em which premiered in Swedish cinemas February 1996. It's about a young girl, Em, who one day sees her playhouse burn down. By accident her gaze meets the eyes of the one responsible for the fire whom she later runs into and a new, different friendship begins.
The movie that primarily made Ella Lemhagen known for the public is Tsatsiki, morsan och polisen. It is based on two books written by Moni Nilsson-Brännström called Tsatsiki och morsan and Tsatsiki och farsan. The movie is about an eight-year-old boy who lives with his single mom, his father lives in Greece. Tsatsiki dreams about going there and meet him. He tries to set up his mother with a police who lives in their house but she is not interested. One day Tsatsiki travels to Greece and there he meets his father for the first time.
During the beginning of the 21st century came her big break as a film director for films targeted at adults, not just adolescents. In 2008 she directed a movie called Patrik 1,5 which is about a gay couple who just moved to the suburbs where they bought a house. They are about to adopt a kid called Patrik who is one and half years old. Something goes wrong with the adoption agency and the kid they get to adopt is Patrik who is 15 years old and has a troubled background. It's about the struggle you face as a parent raising a troublesome teenager and their own struggle as a gay couple trying to live a “normal” life.
Her next planned movie is Pojken med guldbyxorna which will premiere in September 2014 on Swedish cinemas. It’s a remake of the book with the same title by Max Lundgren. It is about a boy who gets his hands on a pair of golden pants which gives him an unlimited amount of money.
- 2016 - All Roads Lead to Rome
- 2014 - Pojken med guldbyxorna
- 2011 - Kronjuvelerna
- 2008 - Patrik, 1.5
- 2003 - Tur & retur
- 2003 - Järnvägshotellet
- 2001 - Om inte
- 1999 - Tsatsiki, morsan och polisen
- 1997 - Välkommen till festen
- 1996 - Drömprinsen – Filmen om Em
Awards and nominations
- Gullspira 2013
- The Starboy award for the best children's film at Oulu International Children's and Youth Film Festival in 2000 for Tsatsiki, morsan och polisen.
- Guldbagge Award 2000 won for Best director Tsatsiki, morsan och polisen
- Guldbagge Award 1997 nominated for Best director Drömprinsen- filmen om Em
- Kurt Linder Scolarship 1996 for Drömprinsen- filmen om Em
Bibliography and further reading
- Family, without all the drama by Ann Hornaday, Washington, The Washington Post, 20 August 2010.
- Lyssna och ge förtroende by Eva Westergren, Stockholm, Zoom, edition 8, 1996.
- "Ella Lemhagen SFI". Svensk Filmdatabas. Svenska Filminstitutet. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Gullspira 2013". Guldbaggen. Svenska Filminstitutet. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Drömprinsen- Filmen om Em". Svensk Filmdatabas. Svenska Filminstitutet. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Tsatsiki, morsan och polisen". Filmhandledning. Svenska Filminstitutet. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Patrik 1,5". Film i skolan. Svenska Filminstitutet. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- Lindblad, Helena (2013-05-18). "Lemhagen gör "Pojken med guldbyxorna"". Dagens Nyheter. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Pojken med guldbyxorna". SF. SF. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Ella Lemhagen Awards". Svensk Filmdatabas. Svenska Filminstitutet. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Voittajat" [Winners] (in Finnish). Oulu Film Centre. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ella Lemhagen.|