Ellen Joan Handy is an American art critic and historian of art, printmaking, and photography. She is Chair of the Photography Department of City College of New York. She is known for both her wide knowledge of historical movements and genres, such as Japanese photo-postcards and her commitment to developing original talent. Some artists who became well-known were championed by her in their early years, such as Barbara Rosenthal and Mark Feldstein.
Life and work
Born March 11, 1961, in Schenectady, New York. Her father, Rollo Handy, is an itinerant philosopher (now retired); her mother was the former Toni Scheiner. She graduated from Barnard College in 1980 while still a teenager and later received a Ph.D. from Princeton University.
Handy has written for international publications such as Arts magazine, as well as small, regional ones, such as The Catskill Center for Photography Quarterly. She has contributed essays to reference books such as Cézanne and American Modernism.
Handy has been Curator of Collections at the International Center of Photography, and in 1999, edited reference books the Center published, such as Reflections in a Glass Eye. She has also held curatorial posts at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and, briefly, the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas. She has been an instructor in Christie's M.A. program and a faculty member at Bard College and LaGuardia Community College.
- "Inaugural BFA Thesis Exhibition" (PDF) (Press release). CUNY City College. May 2003. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- Geary, Christraud M.; Webb, Virginia-Lee, eds. (1998). Delivering Views: Distant Cultures in Early Postcards (PDF). Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press. ISBN 1-56098-759-6. Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 June 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2009.
- "Sideshow Opening, November 17, 2007 – Ellen Handy". peterreginato.com. 17 November 2007. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Handy, Ellen (February 1988), "Arts", Messages: Carlo LaMagna Gallery, New York City
- Handy, Ellen. Mark Feldstein: Recent Work, An Exhibition of Photographs. New York: Hunter College (CUNY).
- "Ph.D Ellen Joan HANDY". byrnefamily.net. Byrne Family. Retrieved July 9, 2016.
- Tisdale, Jennifer (12 October 2005). "Ransom Center Announces Executive Curator of Photography and Visual Collections" (Press release). Harry Ransom Center, University of Texas at Austin. Retrieved 16 November 2009.
- "Ellen Handy". unjobs.org. Archived from the original on 17 September 2012. Retrieved 10 November 2009.
- "Welcome | Yale University Press". Cézanne and American Modernism Editors: Gail Stavitsky and Katherine Rothkopf; Essays by Ellen Handy, Jill Anderson Kyle, Mary Tompkins Lewis, Jerry N. Smith, and Jayne S. Warman. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. 2009. ISBN 978-0-300-14715-5.
- Handy, Ellen, ed. (1999). Reflections in a Glass Eye: Works from the International Center of Photography Collection. New York: Little, Brown and Company. ISBN 0821226258.