McLain at a signing at Kitacon 2012, UK
December 1, 1952 |
Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
|Occupation||Singer, voice artist|
|Spouse(s)||John Patrick Lowrie (1986–present)|
Ellen McLain (born December 1, 1952) is an American opera singer and voice actress from Nashville, Tennessee. She is known for providing the voice of GLaDOS, the computer antagonist of the Portal video game series, the voice of the Jaeger A.I. in Pacific Rim, and the Administrator, the narrator of the video game Team Fortress 2.
McLain provides voices for many characters in several video games from Valve Corporation. Among them are GLaDOS, the artificial intelligence antagonist in Portal (for which she won an AIAS Interactive Achievement Award for Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance) and Portal 2, the announcer in Team Fortress 2, and the voice of the Combine Overwatch for the Half-Life 2 series.
McLain sang "Still Alive" and "Want You Gone", the ending credits songs to Portal and Portal 2, respectively, both of which were written by Jonathan Coulton. She sang "Cara Mia Addio" at the end of Portal 2. It is sometimes called the "Turret Opera".
McLain has been married to fellow voice actor John Patrick Lowrie since 1986. In Half-Life 2, her husband voiced the citizens who assist the protagonist. In Team Fortress 2, Lowrie voices the Sniper.
|2004||Half-Life 2||Combine Overwatch|
|2006||Half-Life 2: Episode One||Combine Overwatch|
|2007||Half-Life 2: Episode Two||Combine Overwatch|
|Portal||GLaDOS / Turrets / Curiosity Sphere / Cake Sphere||AIAS Interactive Achievement Award for Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance
Sings "Still Alive"
See also: Critical reception to Portal and reception to GLaDOS
|Team Fortress 2||Administrator (also referred to as "The Announcer" and "Helen")|
|Godzilla: Unleashed||Vorticia||Features only in cutscenes.|
|2008||Left 4 Dead||Witch|
|2011||Portal 2||GLaDOS / Turrets / Caroline||Sings "Want You Gone"
During the credits, Caroline is not credited, whereas both GLaDOS and the turrets are.
|Defense Grid: The Awakening||GLaDOS||Appears in the DLC "You Monster".|
|2012||Dota 2||Broodmother, Death Prophet, GLaDOS Announcer|
|2013||Pacific Rim||Jaeger A.I.|
|Poker Night 2||GLaDOS||Appears in a supporting role as the game's card dealer.|
|2015||Bee and PuppyCat||Temp Bot||Episode 5|
|2015||Lego Dimensions||GLaDOS / Turrets||Appears in a supporting role. Sings "You Wouldn't Know" (credits song).|
- Hamilton, Kirk (2013-07-01). "How GLaDOS is GLaDOS in Pacific Rim?". Kotaku. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Hatfield, Dameon (2007-10-31). "GLaDOS Speaks". IGN. Retrieved 2010-01-24.
- "Game Music Showdown: Mirror's Edge Vs. Portal". IGN. 2008-10-22. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- "Portal 2 Turret Opera". Valve. 2011-04-19. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- Polansky, Lana. "Ellen McLain Summons GLaDOS to Voice Support for GaymerCon". Gameranx. Retrieved 2014-09-12.
- "Married to John Patrick Lowrie". Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- Plunkett, Luke (2010-07-29). "The men and women behind gaming's most iconic characters". Kotaku. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- Portal GCF archives[full citation needed]
- Narcisse, Evan (2012-10-11). "Guillermo Del Toro's Next Movie Has a Little GlaDOS in It". Kotaku. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ellen McLain.|
- Official website
- Ellen McLain at the Internet Movie Database
- on YouTube, Anime Midwest 2011 convention
|This article about a United States singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|