Ellen Reid (composer)
Ellen Reid (born 1983) is an American composer originally from Oak Ridge, Tennessee but living and working in New York City and Los Angeles. Reid is the first composer to have been commissioned by all of Los Angeles's four major classical music institutions: Los Angeles Opera at REDCAT, Los Angeles Philharmonic, L.A. Master Chorale and L.A. Chamber Orchestra. She is the only female composer to ever have been performed by all four and the first composer to have world premieres by all four. In addition to classical music, Reid also writes music for films, TV, and art installations.
Her first feature film score was for the 2014 drama-mystery The Midnight Swim. She also contributed original music to the soundtrack of the 2016 mystery film Buster's Mal Heart. Both films were written and directed by Sarah Adina Smith. Reid and Missy Mazzoli co-founded Luna Composition Lab, a mentorship program for young self-identified female, non-binary, and gender non-conforming composers.
Her first opera, Prism, about a sexual assault survivor's psychological struggles, premiered in L.A. in November 2018 and was awarded the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for Music. The New York Philharmonic conducted by Jaap van Zweden performed the world premiere of her work When the World as You've Known It Doesn't Exist on February 20, 2020.
- Womack, Catherine. "Review: With Ellen Reid's incandescent 'prism', an opera composer is born". nationalsawdust.org/thelog/. Retrieved 2018-08-21.
- Swed, Mark. "Ellen Reid: Transforming Colors and Big Ideas Into Sound and Action". latimes.com.
- "Ellen Reid, who grew up in Oak Ridge, wins Pulitzer Prize in music". Oak Ridge Today. April 16, 2019.
- Womack, Catherine. "In the American dream, with every boom comes a bust. How these women turned that cycle into music". latimes.com. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Ellen Reid's Dreams of the New World Awakens at Walt Disney Concert Hall : Seen and Heard International". seenandheard-international.com. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Vankin, Deborah (2019-04-15). "Pulitzer for music goes to Ellen Reid for her first opera, 'prism'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2020-06-24.
- "Mister Squinter and Ellen Reid - The Midnight Swim | Light In The Attic Records". Light In The Attic Records. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "'Buster's Mal Heart' Soundtrack: Score By Mister Squinter Out On August 25, Film Stars Mr. Robot's Rami Malek". Film Music Daily. 2017-08-25. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- "Luna Composition Lab". www.kaufmanmusiccenter.org. Retrieved 2020-06-24.
- "The 2019 Pulitzer Prize Winners Announced | Columbia News". news.columbia.edu. Retrieved 2019-04-15.
- Tommasini, Anthony (February 21, 2020). "Review: At the Philharmonic, New Music for a Changing World". The New York Times. Retrieved July 19, 2020.
- "Three Alumni Win Pulitzer Prizes". Columbia College Today. Retrieved June 23, 2020.