Ellen Kovner Silbergeld
|Alma mater||Vassar College, Johns Hopkins University|
|Known for||environmental health research and advocacy|
|Fields||Toxicology, epidemiology, microbiology|
|Institutions||Johns Hopkins University, University of Maryland, Environmental Defense Fund|
|Doctoral advisor||Alan M. Goldberg, Julian Chisolm|
Ellen Kovner Silbergeld (born 1945) is a leading American expert in the field of environmental health.
She is a professor at the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University and used to be on the faculty at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. Before that she worked as a scientist for Environmental Defense. She was editor-in-chief of the journal Environmental Research she serves on many other editorial boards She is an authority on the toxicological manifestations of lead and mercury poisoning, having done some of the first research on how lead affects the central nervous system. Silbergeld has also been involved in public policy and raised public awareness of the dangers of lead. Her current research focuses on the role is food animal production in the selection and dissemination of antimicrobial resistance. She has written a book on this topic, Chickenizing Farms and Food published by Johns Hopkins Press in 2016
- Ellen K. Silbergeld (19 August 2016). Chickenizing Farms and Food: How Industrial Meat Production Endangers Workers, Animals, and Consumers. JHU Press. pp. 2–. ISBN 978-1-4214-2030-1.
- Ellen K. Silbergeld Papers
- "Obituaries: Mary Helen Gion Kovner". Washington Post. 5 September 1992. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- Oakes, Elizabeth H., ed. (2007). "Silbergeld, Ellen Kovner". Encyclopedia of World Scientists. Infobase Publishing. pp. 667–668. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "Silbergeld, Ellen K.. Papers of Ellen K. Silbergeld, 1968-1994". Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University. 2007. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- Women in Science - Hall of Fame
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Faculty - Ellen Silbergeld
- Environmental Research - Editorial Board
- MacArthur Foundation - Fellows List: S
- Kim, Sarah Y. "Author talks dark side of industrial farming – The Johns Hopkins News-Letter". Retrieved 2016-12-27.
|"How Modern Meat Production Threatens Workers, Consumers, and Animals", WNYC September 28, 2016|
- Papers, 1968-1994. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|