Wong at the 2010 San Diego Comic-Con International
|Born||1984/1985 (age 35–36)|
Ellen Wong (born 1984 or 1985) is a Canadian actress. She is known for her roles as Knives Chau in the 2010 film Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Jill "Mouse" Chen in The CW's series The Carrie Diaries, and Jenny Chey in the Netflix series GLOW.
Wong was born in Scarborough, Ontario, to Teochew-speaking Chinese Cambodian parents who fled to Canada during the Cambodian genocide. She began acting in community theatre while attending L'Amoreaux Collegiate Institute and worked in a variety of television production jobs from the age of 14. She later studied radio and television arts at Ryerson University.
Wong continued acting while at university, and in 2005, she landed a role in the television series This Is Wonderland followed by Runaway in 2006. She also has a black belt in taekwondo, but had to stop sparring competitively due to her acting schedule. Wong's martial arts background helped her land the role of Knives Chau in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World in October 2009. She auditioned for the part three times. On her second audition director Edgar Wright was surprised to find out that she studied taekwondo and was intrigued by this "sweetfaced young lady being a secret badass". Wong expressed that the role of Knives Chau caught her eye because "it's not every day that as an Asian female, you get to be able to read a role that's empowering, that has a great arc, and that's so integral to the story as a whole".
Wong also appeared in the television show Unnatural History. In 2011, she had a recurring role as Nurse Suzy Chao in the Global/ABC series Combat Hospital. In January 2012, she was nominated for an ACTRA Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female for her work portraying an illegal immigrant smuggled across the ocean in a shipping container in the short film Silent Cargo. In February 2012, Wong was cast in the Sex and the City prequel series The Carrie Diaries, playing Jill "Mouse" Chen, Carrie's best friend from high school who is described as "pragmatic, bright, and super loyal". In 2012 she also starred in Silent Night, a loose remake of the 1984 horror film Silent Night, Deadly Night.
In June 2016, Wong was cast in the second season of the Syfy series Dark Matter, and in October, she was cast in the Netflix comedy series GLOW, which was inspired by the 1980s female professional wrestling league of the same name. In the series, Wong plays Jenny, an immigrant from Cambodia who is obsessed with pop culture. Wong was initially dismayed to find out the character's wrestling persona was named "Fortune Cookie" but stated, "What is really awesome about GLOW is that we play these two characters. In the ring, you are these stereotypes. But then you see who these characters are in real life outside of the ring and how they feel... Jenny is trying to be this all-American girl in the '80s, and she's basically trying to fight all these stereotypes and at the same time here she is playing this stereotype." The creators of the series wrote the character's background as Cambodian after several meetings with Wong.
In 2017, Wong appeared in the thriller film The Circle, starring Emma Watson and Tom Hanks, and in Katy Perry's music video for "Swish Swish" as her character from GLOW. That August, Wong joined the Audience television network series, Condor, in a recurring role.
|2010||Scott Pilgrim vs. the World||Knives Chau|
|2011||Silent Cargo||Daiyu||Short film|
|2014||The Baddest Part||Olivia||Short film|
|2018||In the Life of Music||Hope|
|TBA||Best Sellers||Rachel Spence||Post-production|
|2005||This Is Wonderland||Amy Li||Season 2, episode 5|
|2006||Runaway||Macy||Episode: "End Game"|
|2010||Unnatural History||Hoshi||Episode: "Heart of a Warrior"|
|2011||Combat Hospital||Major Suzy Chao||12 episodes|
|2013–2014||The Carrie Diaries||Jill "Mouse" Chen||Main cast; 26 episodes|
|2015||Castle||Zhu Yin||Episode: "Hong Kong Hustle"|
|2016–2017||Dark Matter||Misaki Han||Season 2 & 3|
|2016||Son of Zorn||Nancy||Episode: "Return to Orange County"|
|2017–19||GLOW||Jenny Chey||Recurring role|
|2018||Condor||Sarah Tan||Recurring role|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Scream Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Scott Pilgrim vs. the World||Nominated|||
|2012||ACTRA Awards||Outstanding Performance by a Female||Silent Cargo||Nominated|||
- Linda Barnard (2010-08-13). "Ellen Wong: Toronto actress gets her Knives out". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Pham, Jason (August 16, 2017). "In 'GLOW,' Actress Ellen Wong Brings Her Cambodian Heritage to the Screen". NBC News. Retrieved August 18, 2017.
- Boesveld, Sarah; Chatelaine (Jul 5, 2018). "Canadian Actor Ellen Wong is Smashing Stereotypes in GLOW Season 2 and Beyond". Flare. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- Bob Thompson (2010-08-16). "Ellen Wong plays to ADD generation: Actress stars opposite Michael Cera in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World". Canada.com. Archived from the original on 2010-08-19. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- Lynn Barker. "Scott Pilgrim's ladies dish: Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Ellen Wong". SheKnows. Archived from the original on 2013-02-17. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Edward Douglas (2010-05-25). "On the Set of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - Ellen Wong/Knives Chau". Superhero Hype!. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Swerdloff, Alexis (July 16, 2010). "The Girls of Summer". Paper. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- "Living Life on the Edge: an interview with Scott Pilgrim actress Ellen Wong". Asia Pacific Arts. 2010-11-18.
- Dennis Ivarsson (2010-08-13). "Scott Pilgrim vs. Ellen Wong". MovieMaker. Retrieved 2010-08-17.[dead link]
- "Ellen Wong". TV.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Calum, Shanlin (2012-01-31). "Ellen Wong on Her ACTRA Award Nomination". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2012-02-27). "Pilots 'Only Fools & Horses', 'Carrie Diaries' & 'Zero Hour' Add To Casts". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Miska, Brad (2012-04-19). "Full Cast For Santa Slasher 'Silent Night'". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- Ahr, Michael (2016-06-02). "Dark Matter Season 2 Announces New Cast as Premiere Nears". Den of Geek. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- Denise, Petski (2016-10-21). "Ellen Wong Joins Netflix's 'G.L.O.W.; 'She's Gotta Have It' Adds Sydney Morton". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-10-21.
- Van de Wall, Virginia (2016-06-13). "See What the Cast of 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the World' is Up to Now". Life & Style. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Katy Perry Leads Star-Studded, Bumbling Basketball Team in 'Swish Swish' Video (Watch)". Variety. 2017-08-24. Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- Denise, Petski (2017-08-25). "'Condor': Mouna Traoré & Ellen Wong Join Audience Network Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2018-07-02.
- Newman, Kim (February 13, 2017). "'The Void': Review". Screen Daily. Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- "AMC's The Walking Dead Nabs Six Scream Nominations. Vote Today!". AMC. 2011-09-08. Retrieved 2017-01-31.