|Member of Parliament |
for Lewisham West and Penge
|Assumed office |
8 June 2017
|Preceded by||Jim Dowd|
|Born||11 December 1980|
Beckenham, London, England
John Cryer (m. 2012)
|Relations||Rachel Reeves (sister)|
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford|
Eleanor Claire Reeves (born 11 December 1980) is a British Labour Party politician, and the Member of Parliament (MP) for Lewisham West and Penge. She is the sister of an MP, Rachel Reeves, and married to another MP, John Cryer.
Reeves is an employment law barrister, vice-chair of the London Labour Party and was formerly a member of Labour's National Executive Committee. She was elected to parliament at the 2017 general election, having been selected for the Labour-held seat of Lewisham West and Penge. This constituency and its predecessor has been represented by Labour since 1992, with a majority that suggests a safe seat for the party. Along with Angela and Maria Eagle, Reeves and her sister Rachel are the only pairs of sisters currently serving in the House of Commons.
On 13 June 2018, Reeves and five other Labour MPs resigned their roles as frontbenchers for the Labour Party in protest at Labour's Brexit position. Leader Jeremy Corbyn had instructed his MPs to abstain in a vote which Britain would remain in the single market by joining the European Economic Area (EEA). The MPs resigned and voted in favour of the EEA.
- "Members' Names Data Platform query". UK Parliament. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- "No. 61961". The London Gazette. 19 June 2017. p. 11776.
- "Former Labour official Ellie Reeves selected for safe seat in London". LabourList. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Hello (13 September 2007). "The legal eagle who left sisters scuppered". Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Rampen, Julia (26 April 2017). "How Labour's power-brokers will divide up the party's safe seats". New Statesman. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Little, Mandy (28 April 2017). "Ellie Reeves to fight for Lewisham West and Penge seat for Labour". London News Online. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- "The Year 2017 - alumni magazine for St Catherine's College, Oxford" (PDF). Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Culbertson, Alix (14 June 2018). "Six Labour MPs quit frontbench roles over key Brexit vote". Sky News. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Morris, Nigel (13 June 2018). "Six Labour frontbenchers resign in protest at Labour's Brexit position". i News. Retrieved 14 June 2018.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Lewisham West and Penge
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2017 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|