Elliot Kukla is the first openly transgender person to be ordained by the Reform Jewish seminary Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Los Angeles. Kukla is a rabbi at the Bay Area Jewish Healing Center.
He came out as transgender six months before his ordination in 2006. Later, at the request of a friend of his who was also transgender, he wrote the first blessing sanctifying the sex-change process to be included in the 2007 edition of the Union for Reform Judaism's resource manual for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender inclusion called Kulanu.
- "Our Rabbis". Jewishhealingcenter.org. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- "Pathways Speakers Bios & Information: Rabbi Elliot Kukla". Institute on Aging. Archived from the original on November 26, 2010. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- "Who We Are: Rabbi Elliot Kukla". TransTorah. Retrieved March 25, 2013.
- Spence, Rebecca (December 31, 2008). "Transgender Jews Now Out of Closet, Seeking Communal Recognition". The Jewish Daily Forward.
- Joe Eskenazi & Ben Harris (August 17, 2007). "Blessed are the transgendered, say S.F. rabbi and the Reform movement". Jweekly.
- Joshua Lesser, David Shneer and Judith Plaskow (2010). Torah Queeries: Weekly Commentaries on the Hebrew Bible. New York: NYU Press. p. 27. ISBN 978-0-8147-4109-2.