Elliot Ray Scheiner
18 March 1947
|Occupation(s)||Music producer, audio engineer|
Elliot Ray Scheiner (born 18 March 1947) is a music producer, mixer and engineer. Scheiner has received 27 Grammy Award nominations, eight of which he won, and he has been awarded four Emmy nominations, two Emmy Awards for his work with the Eagles on their farewell tour broadcast, and the documentary film History of the Eagles, three TEC Awards nominations, a TEC Hall of Fame inductee, and recipient of the Surround Pioneer Award. Elliot holds an honorary Doctor of Music degree from the Berklee College of Music and is one of the only Americans to be awarded the Master of Sound honour from the Japan Audio Society.
In 2016, Elliot mixed Phish live at Madison Square Garden over the New Year's holiday and their subsequent shows in Ixtapa, Mexico. In 2015 he received his 25th Grammy Award nomination in the category of Best Surround Sound Album for Beyoncé, which he also won, making him an eight-time Grammy Award winner.
Scheiner began his career in 1967 as Phil Ramone's assistant at A & R Recording in New York City, and quickly advanced to engineer. By 1973 he had begun to freelance as an engineer and producer, becoming the first person ever to work as a freelance engineer for other artists. Scheiner is considered to be among the most accomplished sound engineers and producers in his field [not identified].
Scheiner has produced and engineered a range of artists, including Foo Fighters, Toto, Jimmy Buffett, Beck, Faith Hill, Steely Dan, Band of Horses, Ricky Martin, Sting, Bruce Hornsby, Paul Simon, R.E.M., B.B. King, George Benson, Chaka Khan, Van Morrison, Donald Fagen, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, Eagles, Aerosmith, Joe Jackson and Glenn Frey.
Scheiner was nominated in 2005 for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Variety or Music Series or Special or Animation, for his mixing for Eric Clapton in Great Performances; Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival (1972).
He mixed the IMAX film All Access: Front Row. Backstage. Live! (2001) in surround sound. The film footage includes Dave Matthews, Sheryl Crow, Macy Gray, Kid Rock, Moby, George Clinton, Mary J. Blige, Al Green, and Rob Thomas.
Scheiner mixed The Eagles' four-hour documentary, History of the Eagles (2013). He also mixed Beck's reinterpretation of the David Bowie hit "Sound and Vision." Scheiner also recorded and mixed Eric Clapton's Crossroads 2013 featuring Eric Clapton and friends at Madison Square Garden in New York City in April 2013.
In 2018 Phish released The Complete Baker's Dozen Box Set it includes every note of music from the historic 13-night run on 36 discs. Each show has been remixed for this release by Scheiner.
Scheiner also collaborated with Panasonic to create the ELS Surround premium audio system for Acura's RL/RLX, TL/TLX, ILX, TSX, RDX, MDX & ZDX. The audio system received rave reviews from the automotive press, audiophiles and musicians since it was introduced on the 2004 Acura TL. In 2018 Acura debuted ELS Studio 3D in the 2019 Acura RDX. The flagship system consists of 16 speakers, including 4 overhead speakers in the roof. ELS Studio 3D was most recently awarded Business Insider's "Car Audio System of the Year".
Scheiner once used the car to share a 5.1 mix with the Foo Fighters. "I sent them the mix, and they listened in the car. The first call back was, “Sounds great, don’t change anything.” They listened to the entire record in 5.1 in the car. So, it became not only a system for people who wanted to hear this kind of music, but for producers and artists to actually approve things. That's what I wanted. I wanted to take on the 5.1 market in cars and really do it big."
- "ELS Surround — From The Studio, To Your Vehicle" (about the system Scheiner designed), www
- Interview Session 1, 28 March 2007
- Interview Session 2, 12 April 2007
- Interview Session 3, 18 June 2007
- Interview Session 4, 25 July 2007
- Elliot Talks About Audio Production," Scheiner interviewed by Johnny Jaskot, www
.recordproduction .com (blog of Mike Banks, England)
- Elliot video blog, www
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Elliot Scheiner Interview NAMM Oral History Library
- Who's Who in America (Scheiner in Vol. 2 of 3), New Providence, New Jersey: Marquis Who's Who; ISSN 1094-6985
53rd ed., 1999 (1998); OCLC 40048997
55th ed., 2001 (2000); OCLC 45204099
- Who's Who in Entertainment, Marquis Who's Who; ISSN 1044-0887
2nd ed., 1992–1993 (1992); OCLC 25523584
3rd ed., 1998–1999 (1997); OCLC 19003710
- "TEC Hall of Fame Talk: Elliot Scheiner | TEC Awards". www.tecawards.org. Retrieved 3 October 2021.
- "Producer Elliot Scheiner and Son to Receive Honors at Berklee Commencement 2006". Mixonline. 5 May 2006. Retrieved 3 October 2021.
- "Elliot Scheiner". GRAMMY.com. 23 November 2020. Retrieved 3 October 2021.
- How Does It Sound Now? by Gary Gottlieb, Course Technology (2010), pg. 319; OCLC 535576372 ()
- "Elliot Scheiner | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 3 October 2021.
- "Elliot Scheiner". Television Academy. Retrieved 3 October 2021.
- "Acura and ELS Studio® Premium Audio from Panasonic Present Ben Folds 2014 LIVE Performances Tour". Honda Newsroom. 11 March 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2021.
- Schiener, Elliot (8 February 2021). "Q&A with Elliot Scheiner: 5.1 Mixing Pioneer Talks The Eagles, Cars, Baseball, and Atmos". Immersive Audio Album.