Friedman interviewing Bill Guerin in May 2010.
September 27, 1970 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||sportscaster, sports journalist|
|Known for||Hockey Night in Canada|
Early life and education
He began his broadcast career for Toronto sports radio station The Fan 590 in 1994 and did play-by-play for Toronto Raptors games on both radio and television and reported on Toronto Blue Jays games in 1998. He did freelance for the London Free Press and the Toronto Star. He was awarded the Telemedia Reporter of the Year award in 1996. Friedman then worked for The Score network, before joining CBC Sports in 2003. At CBC, Friedman was a reporter for Hockey Night in Canada; the studio host for the final two seasons of the CFL on CBC and for some Toronto Raptors games; and participated in the CBC's Olympic Games coverage. He also continued to appear regularly on The Fan 590 (now Sportsnet 590).
In 2016, Friedman participated as a commentator during CBC's coverage of diving and swimming events at the 2016 Summer Olympics to replace Steve Armitage, who was unable to attend the Games due to his diagnosis with chronic heart failure. Friedman received international attention on August 11, 2016 after making a mistake in his commentary of the Men's 200 metre individual medley final; Friedman declared that U.S. swimmer Ryan Lochte was leading and had won the race, when it was actually won by his rival, Michael Phelps.
- "The day that changed everything". CBC Sports. November 14, 2012. Retrieved 2015-05-26.
- "Bio: Elliotte Friedman". CBC Media Centre. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- Canadian Press staff (2014-06-17). "Elliotte Friedman, Scott Oake hired by Rogers, to continue on Hockey Night in Canada". National Post. Archived from the original on 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- "Famed CBC announcer Steve Armitage will miss Rio Olympics over heart problems". Awful Announcing. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Oops? CBC announcer mixes up lanes, declares Ryan Lochte winner over Michael Phelps". Washington Post. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Rio 2016: CBC commentator mixes up Phelps, Lochte in 200m IM final". Herald Sun (Australia). Retrieved 12 August 2016.