|Died||September 1951(aged 81)|
|Known for||Card manipulation, coin magic, creator of Stanyon's Magic, sleight of hand|
Stanyon published and edited his own journal known as Magic. The journal's aim was to‚ 'popularize the Art of Sleight of Hand'. It was first published from October 1900 and ran for 177 issues with a break during World War I; the final issue was published in June 1920.
Stanyon in his journal published a method of escaping from packed boxes. Biographer Kenneth Silverman has written that the magician Harry Houdini "accused Stanyon of having posted a bounty of several pounds for his secrets... Houdini dismissed the methods purveyed by Stanyon and others as being nothing like his own, "puny attempts at duplication."
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:|
- Conjuring With Cards (1898)
- Hand Shadows (1900)
- New Miscellaneous Tricks (1900)
- New Coin Tricks (1900)
- New Juggling Tricks (1901)
- Card Tricks (1900)
- New Card Tricks (1900)
- Conjuring For Amateurs (1901)
- New Handkerchief Tricks (1909)
- Magic (1910)
- Evans, Henry R. (1902). Magic And Its Professors. George Routledge & Sons. p. 88
- Stanyon, Ellis (October 1900). "Introduction". Magic. Vol. 1 no. 1. p. 2. (Subscription required (help)).
- Alfredson, James B.; Daily, George L. (1986). A Bibliography of Conjuring Periodicals in English: 1791–1983. York, Pennsylvania. p. 163. (Subscription required (help)).
- Silverman, Kenneth. (1996). Houdini!: The Career of Ehrich Weiss. HarperCollins Publishers. pp. 65-66