Ellisburg, New Jersey
Ellisburg, New Jersey
Map of the former Erlton-Ellisburg CDP in Camden County. Inset: Location of Camden County in New Jersey.
|• Total||0.905 sq mi (2.344 km2)|
|• Land||0.905 sq mi (2.344 km2)|
|• Water||0.000 sq mi (0.000 km2) 0.00%|
|Elevation||89 ft (27 m)|
|• Density||4,876.9/sq mi (1,883.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||02583987|
Ellisburg is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Cherry Hill Township, in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 8,168. The area had been part of the combined Erlton-Ellisburg CDP, which was discontinued after the 2000 Census.
Named for the prominent Ellis family who settled the area, the area that came to be known as Ellisburg was first the site of a blacksmith and tavern, which soon brought private homes to the area. A stagecoach that stopped at the tavern further helped development. The initial location of Ellisburg was the crossroads of Cooper's Creek Road (now Route 70) and Haddonfield Moorestown Road (King's Highway).
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 4,413 people, 1,898 households, and 1,080 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,876.9 per square mile (1,883.0/km2). There were 1,976 housing units at an average density of 2,183.7 per square mile (843.1/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 78.36% (3,458) White, 6.23% (275) Black or African American, 0.07% (3) Native American, 11.67% (515) Asian, 0.00% (0) Pacific Islander, 2.29% (101) from other races, and 1.38% (61) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.62% (292) of the population.
There were 1,898 households out of which 21.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.8% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 43.1% were non-families. 39.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 22.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 18.8% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 23.4% from 25 to 44, 25.6% from 45 to 64, and 25.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45.6 years. For every 100 females there were 84.2 males. For every 100 females ages 18 and older there were 81.5 males.
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Ellisburg Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed October 14, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Ellisburg CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed October 15, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Ellisburg, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed October 15, 2012.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed October 15, 2012. "Deleted CDPs:... Erlton-Ellisburg CDP (part taken to form Ellisburg CDP)"
- "Cherry Hill Township History". Retrieved October 16, 2018.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.