Ellison Bay, Wisconsin
|Ellison Bay, Wisconsin|
Looking north at downtown Ellison Bay on WIS 42
|• Total||2.662 sq mi (6.89 km2)|
|• Land||2.662 sq mi (6.89 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Density||62/sq mi (24/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Ellison Bay is an unincorporated census-designated place in northern Door County, Wisconsin, United States, within the town of Liberty Grove and is located on Highway 42 along the Green Bay. As of the 2010 census, its population is 165. Sur La Baie, one of Wisconsin's largest and most expensive homes, is located nearby.
The community was founded in 1872 by John Eliasen, a Danish immigrant. Lumber and fishing were important businesses in the 19th century, replaced by fruit growing in the early 20th century, and today tourism is the main business.
On July 10, 2006, an explosion leveled the 136-year-old Pioneer Store, killed two vacationers and injuring 13 others. The blast also burned down one cottage and damaged another. It is believed a propane gas leak caused the explosion, which may have resulted from a contractor damaging unmarked underground propane lines.
Important attractions include The Clearing, a private center for adult education that was originally established by Jens Jensen, a prominent landscape architect. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Other attractions include Turtle Ridge Gallery, a cooking school, an Asian art gallery, and pottery studios. Local restaurants in Ellison Bay are the Viking Grill, home to one of Door County's oldest fish boils, and the Wickman House, a restaurant featuring local produce.
- "Ellison Bay, Wisconsin". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Ellison Bay, Wisconsin
- "American FactFinder". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 30 March 2011.
- Door County
- "Explosion Kills Two Guests at the Cedar Grove Resort in Ellison Bay, Wisconsin; Likely Caused by Propane Leak"
- "Home" (Archive). Gibraltar Area Schools. Retrieved on June 16, 2014.
- Around the Shores of Lake Michigan: A Guide to Historic Sites by Margaret Beattie Bogue (1985, University of Wisconsin Press)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ellison Bay, Wisconsin.|
|This article about a location in Door County, Wisconsin is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|