Ellisville Harbor State Park
|Ellisville Harbor State Park|
|Massachusetts State Park|
View of Ellisville Harbor
|- elevation||0 ft (0 m) |
|- location||Cape Cod Bay|
|Area||97 acres (39 ha) |
|Management||Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation|
|Nearest city||Plymouth, Massachusetts|
|Website: Ellisville Harbor State Park|
Ellisville Harbor State Park protects a unique coastal property which includes beachfront, salt marsh, rolling meadows, and red pine forest habitats. One of the most scenic spots on the South Shore coastline, visitors can see small fishing boats, a barrier beach, sphagnum bog, forested upland and open meadows. The large bog attracts many interesting birds as both a habitat and migrations stopover. In fall and winter, harbor seals can often be seen just offshore.
A wide main trail of about 350 yards is maintained with a processed stone surface from a parking area to a wide, rocky beach. The endangered piping plovers and least terns nest along a section of the beach which is closed in the spring. Several side trails access other areas of the park. Poison ivy is a concern along trail edges.
An 18th century farmstead is also included on the property and is part of the Department of Conservation and Recreations Historic Curatorship Program. As of 2009, the curators are Don and Kristy McIvor.
- Fishing - Salt water from shore and jette
- Bird watching
- Scenic viewing area
- Cross-country skiing
- Walking trails
Between 2,500 and 5,000 years ago, prehistoric Native Americans hunted, fished, harvested shellfish and made tools here. At least two Native American sites are in the area. In its earlier days the harbor was a busy loading spot for ships taking timber to Boston and for local fishing.
The area was designated an Area of Critical Environmental Concern in January 1980.
- "Ellisville Harbor State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "2012 Acreage Listing" (PDF). Department of Conservation and Recreation. April 2012. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "Ellisville Harbor ACEC". Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- "Ellisville Harbor State Park". MassParks. Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Park sign.
- Ellisville Harbor State Park Department of Conservation and Recreation
- Ellisville Harbor Area of Critical Environmental Concern Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
Video of Ellisville marine life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oalg6fwpxmo