Ellucian, Inc. is a provider of software and services for the higher education industry. The company is headquartered just outside Washington, D.C. in Reston, Virginia, with offices throughout the United States and in Mexico, Australia, Brazil, Chile, Columbia, India, Ireland, The Netherlands, United Arab Emirates, and United Kingdom. The company supports more than 2,500 institutions across 50+ countries, reaching over 20 million students. Ellucian's listed solutions and services include software for student registration, finance and human resources, recruiting, retention, analytics, and advancement.
Ellucian’s annual users’ conference, Ellucian Live, is the largest user event in higher education technology with approximately 600 sessions on topics ranging from tips for maximizing current investments to how cloud and data solutions are creating efficiencies on campuses worldwide, to demonstrations of emerging technology.
Datatel Inc. was founded by Tom Davidson in 1968. In its early years, Datatel performed as a data processing service bureau. In 1979, the company began focusing on higher education. Private equity firm Hellman & Friedman LLC acquired Fairfax-based Datatel in 2009 for $570 million.
Systems & Computer Technology Corp. (SCT) was founded as a consulting firm in November 1968 by Frederick A. Gross and four other software specialists. Its first product was standardized software products for higher education, such as recordkeeping, registration, the grading of students, and staff payroll. By 1996 almost half of all college students in the United States were enrolled at institutions using SCT software. In 2004, SunGard acquired SCT for $590 million.
In 2011, Datatel and SunGard Higher Education signed definitive agreements to combine businesses and operate as one company focused exclusively on serving education institutions. Affiliates of Hellman & Friedman LLC acquired the SunGard Higher Education businesses from SunGard Data Systems Inc. for $1.775 billion in August 2011 and combined the acquired businesses under a new holding company with Datatel. The agreement cleared Department of Justice review and the companies closed the transaction in the first quarter of 2012. The combination was announced under a new company name: Ellucian. In 2015, Ellucian announced that private equity firms TPG Capital and Leonard Green Partners acquired a majority stake in the company from Hellman & Friedman LLC and JMI Equity.
Ellucian’s software provides cloud-ready solutions and services to help higher education institutions manage their data. Its software includes Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP); Student Information Systems (SIS); Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) solutions that address recruiting, retention and alumni relations and fundraising; Analytics and Reporting; Workflow; and Mobile.
Ellucian’s partner network of more than 160 member companies supports colleges and universities with complementary software and services.
- "Ellucian CEO: University CIOs should expect a big focus (and new strategy) around cloud". EdScoop. 2018-05-01. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Cape Breton University Selects Ellucian Cloud Solutions | Education Dive". www.educationdive.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Solutions". Ellucian. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Ellucian Live". 10times.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Ellucian Company L.P.: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "History of Systems & Computer Technology Corp. – FundingUniverse". www.fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Education Institutions Worldwide to Benefit From Strategic Combination of Datatel and SunGard Higher Education". Hellman & Friedman. 2011-08-05. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Joint Press Release dated December 7, 2011". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Merged Technology Company Announces Name: Ellucian | Inside Higher Ed". www.insidehighered.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- Rizzo, Lillian (2015-08-14). "TPG, Leonard Green Agree to Buy Majority Stake in Ellucian From Hellman, JMI". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "TPG Capital, Leonard Green to buy majority stake in Ellucian". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- Kelly, By Rhea; 12/13/16. "Ellucian Unveils Cloud ERP Offerings -". Campus Technology. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Ellucian Partner Award winners announced at the annual Partner Forum | Education Dive". www.educationdive.com. Retrieved 2019-06-13.