|Member of the Chamber of Deputies|
|Assumed office |
13 October 2022
|Vice President of Emilia-Romagna|
28 February 2020 – 24 October 2022
|Preceded by||Raffaele Donini|
|Succeeded by||Irene Priolo|
|Member of the European Parliament|
1 July 2014 – 2 July 2019
Elena Ethel Schlein
4 May 1985
|Political party||Democratic Party|
(2013–2015; since 2022)
Green Italia (since 2020)
|Alma mater||University of Bologna|
Elena "Elly" Ethel Schlein (born 4 May 1985) is an Italian politician.
In 2011, Schlein was one of the founders of the association of university students known as Progrè, an association that dealt with deepening and sensitizing public opinion on issues related to migration policies and the prison reality.
Former Prime Minister Romano Prodi received in support less than 100 centre-left electors and left the presidential election campaign. In April 2013, Schlein gave life to the mobilization campaign known as #OccupyPD, which opposed the formation of a grand coalition government, the Letta Cabinet.
Member of the European Parliament
In February 2014, Schlein ran with the Democratic Party for a seat at the European Parliament in the North-Eastern constituency. In the 2014 European election, Schlein was elected to the European Parliament.
In May 2015, she announced, through a post on Facebook, that she was leaving the Democratic Party, being in deep disagreement with the new political line of the party impressed by Secretary Matteo Renzi, and joined Possible, the party founded by Giuseppe Civati.
- "L'isola di Elly". ciwati.it. 17 May 2014. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Chi siamo | Progrè". web.archive.org. 2014-05-29. Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- "#Occupypd, sedi di partito occupate dai giovani del Pd" [#Occupypd, party offices occupied by the youth of the Democratic Party]. Corriere della Sera (in Italian).
- "Elly Schlein, Civati segretario per il cambiamento: 'Il PD ha sbagliato tutto dopo le primarie'" [Elly Schlein, Civati secretary for change: 'The PD got it all wrong after the primaries']. BolognaToday (in Italian). 3 December 2013.
- "Europee, parla la civatiana Elly Schlein: "Vince il Pd, ma serve riflessione sul governo"". L'Espresso. 22 May 2014. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Elly Schlein: "Volevo riportare Prodi nel Pd ma ora non sopporto più le troppe scelte di destra"". La Repubblica. 9 May 2015. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Schlein: "Europarlamento addio, ecco perchè non mi ricandido"". La Repubblica. 12 April 2019. Retrieved 13 April 2019.
- "Sapevi che Elly Schlein ha frequentato il DAMS? Tutto sulla giovane politica". Donna Glamour (in Italian). 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- Salati, Di Alexia. "Il dubbio: Agostino Viviani, l'avvocato che sfidò le toghe. E perse… – Elly Schlein" (in Italian). Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- Zincone, Vittorio (2020-02-21). "Elly Schlein, amori bisex e la politica per caso: «Ma io sognavo il cinema»". Corriere della Sera (in Italian). Retrieved 2022-10-04.
- Files about her parliamentary activities in the European Parliament (in Italian): VIII legislature.
- Sciorilli Borrelli, Silvia (13 February 2020). "Meet the Italian left's rising star". POLITICO.
- Schlein, Elly (2018). "L'Europa tra riforma della Convenzione di Dublino, muri e migration compact" [Europe between the reform of the Dublin Convention, walls and migration compact]. In Calabrò, Anna Rita (ed.). Quaderni del Master in 'Immigrazione, Genere, Modelli Familiari e Strategie di Integrazione' n. 4: Strategie per un mondo nuovo: prospettive di gestione dei flussi migratori provenienti dall’Africa (in Italian). Ledizioni. pp. 111–118. ISBN 978-88-6705-893-8.
- Aggestam, Karin; De Vos, Dieneke; Schlein, Elly; Viseur Sellers, Patricia (2016). Role of women in conflict and peacemaking. hdl:1814/67571.
- Schlein, Elly (Winter 2018). "Migration is not an emergency" (PDF). Great Insights. 7 (1): 18–19.