|Minister of Foreign Affairs|
7 April 2004
|Prime Minister||Artur Rasizade|
|Preceded by||Vilayat Guliyev|
7 September 1961 |
Baku, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||National University of Kyiv
Russian Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Elmar Mammadyarov Maharram oglu (Azerbaijani: Elmar Məmmədyarov Məhərrəm oğlu), born July 2, 1960) is an Azerbaijani diplomat who has served as Minister of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan since 2004. Mammadyarov speaks Russian, English, Azerbaijani, and Turkish.
Mammadyarov was born in Baku, Azerbaijan on July 2, 1960. He studied at the School of International Relations and International Law of the Kiev State University in 1977-1982. He continued his education at the Diplomatic Academy of the MFA of USSR in 1988-1991 and obtained a PhD in History. In 1989-1990 Mammadyarov was an exchange scholar at the Center for Foreign Policy Development of the Brown University.
Mammadyarov started his diplomatic career in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijani SSR in 1982. He served there as second and first secretary until 1988. In 1991-1992 he was the Director of the State Protocol Division. In 1992-1995, Mammadyarov worked in the Permanent Mission of Azerbaijan to the United Nations in New York. Upon completion of his duties he returned to Baku and in 1995-1998 was the deputy director of the Department of International Organizations in the Ministry. In 1998-2003 he served as counselor at the Embassy of Azerbaijan to the United States. In 2003 Mammadyarov was appointed as Ambassador to Italy. Since April 2, 2004 he is Minister of Foreign Affairs.
Elmar Mammadyarov and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice signing a US-Azerbaijan Memorandum of Understanding on Energy Security Cooperation
- "http://www.mfa.gov.az/eng/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=27". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 6 May 2011. External link in
- "Elmar Məmmədyarovun Bioqrafiyasi". Adam.az.
- "ПОЛИТИЧЕСКАЯ ЭЛИТА". Retrieved 6 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elmar Mammadyarov.|
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Mammadyarov meets Chinese delegation
- Elmar Mammadyarov: "We are rather speaking of a poll"
- Azerbaijan: Armenia Denies Agreeing To Leave Seven Occupied Districts
|Minister of Foreign Affairs