|Elmer Gethin Rees|
Llandybie, Carmarthenshire, Wales
|Institutions||Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research|
|Alma mater||University of CambridgeUniversity of Warwick|
Elmer Gethin Rees, CBE, FRSE (born 1941) is a Welsh mathematician with publications in areas ranging from topology, differential geometry, algebraic geometry, linear algebra and Morse theory to robotics. He held the post of Director of the Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research, a partnership between Bristol University and the British signals intelligence agency GCHQ, from its creation in 2005 until 2009.
Rees was born in Llandybie and grew up in Wales. He studied at St Catharine's College, Cambridge gaining a B.A. before moving on to Warwick for his Ph.D. His career had taken him to Hull, Institute for Advanced Study, Swansea and St Catherine's College, Oxford before becoming a professor at the University of Edinburgh in 1979 where he remained until retiring from the post in 2005.
- The London Gazette: . 13 June 2009.
- Senatus Academicus, University of Edinburgh. "Special Minute - Professor Elmer Gethin Rees MA PhD FRSE". Retrieved 2006-10-21.
- Edinburgh University Honorary Degree (24 June 2008)
- Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research
- Elmer Rees 70th birthday conference
- 70th birthday conference poster
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a Welsh academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|