Elmhurst Ballet School
|Elmhurst Ballet School|
249 Bristol Road
|Department for Education URN||134908 Tables|
|Patron||HRH The Duchess of Cornwall|
|Artistic Director||Robert Parker|
|Age||11 to 19|
Elmhurst Ballet School is an independent school for professional classical ballet in the United Kingdom. It takes students aged 11–19 years who intend to pursue a career in professional classical ballet. The Independent Schools Inspectorate commented that the school is a world-renowned centre for excellence in its field. Elmhurst provides a full academic day in conjunction with a full vocational course in ballet and dance training.":p.8
One of the earliest vocational dance schools in the United Kingdom, Elmhurst was established in the 1920s in Camberley, Surrey. The school moved to purpose-built premises in Edgbaston, Birmingham in 2004.:p.1 The facilities occupy an area of 5 acres (20,000 m2) and include a 250-seat studio theatre, a theatre workshop and seven dance studios. There is also a medical centre and a physiotherapy/exercise centre.:p.2 In addition to day students, there is on-site boarding accommodation for up to 121 resident students and off-site boarding for 30 sixth-formers.:p.4
Mary Goodhew is a former Artistic Director.
- Jenny Agutter
- Melissa Hamilton
- Helen Baxendale
- Hetty Baynes
- Sarah Brightman
- Tracey Childs
- Fiona Fullerton
- Imogen Hassall
- Caroline Langrishe
- Tanja Liedtke
- Jennie Linden
- Hayley Mills
- Juliet Mills
- Pamela Franklin
- Dame Merle Park
- Polly Parsons
- Paul James Rooney
- Hermione Norris
- Jane Slaughter
- Tessa Wyatt
- Lorna Yabsley
- School inspection report, June 2011 Archived 24 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine at Ofsted
- School inspection report, 2008 Independent Schools Council
- An Introduction to Elmhurst at official website
- "Elmhurst Announces Appointment of New Artistic Director". 19 September 2011. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- Ismene Brown Nuclear star dancer Robert Parker leaps to head ballet school at The Arts Desk, 19 September 2011. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- "Senior Management". Elmhurst School for Dance. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- Official website
- Mary Goodhew: The making of a dancer at Birmingham Royal Ballet
- Inspection report, June 2011 at Ofsted
- Description of the reredos from the school chapel in Camberley, and the founder of the ballet school, Mrs Helen Mortimer, and her famous Christmas play.