Elmira Township, Michigan
|Elmira Township, Michigan|
|• Total||36.2 sq mi (93.7 km2)|
|• Land||35.7 sq mi (92.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,362 ft (415 m)|
|• Density||44.7/sq mi (17.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626233|
- Elmira is an unincorporated community on M-32 at the western boundary of the township. It was platted under the name of Windsor in 1880.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.2 square miles (94 km2), of which, 35.7 square miles (92 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (1.24%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,598 people, 555 households, and 470 families residing in the township. The population density was 44.7 per square mile (17.3/km²). There were 700 housing units at an average density of 19.6 per square mile (7.6/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.68% White, 0.63% Native American, 1.19% Asian, 0.13% from other races, and 1.38% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.13% of the population.
There were 555 households out of which 41.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 74.6% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.3% were non-families. 12.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.88 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the township the population was spread out with 30.3% under the age of 18, 5.8% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 26.0% from 45 to 64, and 10.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $45,938, and the median income for a family was $49,911. Males had a median income of $34,330 versus $23,333 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,286. About 5.5% of families and 6.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.2% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Elmira Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Elmira, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 181.
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6.