Location of Elmo, Montana
|• Total||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|• Land||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||2,917 ft (889 m)|
|• Density||439.9/sq mi (169.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0771209|
Elmo is located at (47.828057, -114.347678).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), all land.
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Elmo has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, there were 143 people, 52 households, and 31 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 439.9 people per square mile (167.3/km²). There were 62 housing units at an average density of 190.7 per square mile (72.5/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 31.47% White, 67.83% Native American, and 0.70% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.10% of the population.
There were 52 households out of which 36.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.5% were married couples living together, 19.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.5% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.56.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 30.8% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 13.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 76.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $8,036, and the median income for a family was $8,250. Males had a median income of $0 versus $3,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $2,778. There were 100.0% of families and 96.1% of the population living below the poverty line, including 100.0% of under 18 and 45.5% of those over 64.
- Tachini, Pete; Louie Adams, Sophie Mays, Mary Lucy Parker, Johnny Arlee, Frances Vanderburg, Lucy Vanderburg, Diana Christopher-Cote (1998). nyoʻnuntn q̓éymin, Flathead Nation Salish dictionary. Pablo, Montana: Bilingual Education Department, Salish Kootenai College. p. 45.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Elmo, Montana
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Arrowhead RV Park and Marina Located on the shores of Flathead Lake