Elmo Nüganen (born 15 February 1962 in Jõhvi) is an Estonian theatre director, film director, and actor. He has been the artistic director of the Tallinn City Theatre since 1992. He was a graduate of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre in 1988 and then a professor at the academy in 1998–2002 and 2008–2012. He directed the war films Names in Marble from 2002 and 1944 from 2015. Names in Marble was seen by more than 168,000 people in Estonia and was selected for the 2003 Taormina Film Fest, while 1944 had the highest opening-week audience numbers in Estonian film history and became the country's submission for the Academy Awards.
Nüganen has received multiple awards for his work in theatre, including the Estonian Annual Theatre Award for Best Director in 1992, 1995, 2000, 2007, and 2010, and the Estonian National Cultural Award in 1996, 1999, and 2009.
Nüganen is married to actress Anne Reemann. They have three daughters, Saara, Maria-Netti, and Sonja.
- Only Sunday (Ainus pühapäev) (1990)
- The Prompter (Suflöör) (1993)
- The Grey Light of November (Marraskuun harmaa valo) (1993)
- Armastus kolme apelsini vastu (1994)
- Names in Marble (Nimed marmortahvlil) (2002)
- Mushrooming (Seenelkäik) (2012)
- Purge (Puhdistus) (2012)
- Demons (Deemonid) (2012)
- Tangerines (Mandariinid) (2013)
- O2 (2020)
- O'Connor, Kevin (2006). Culture and Customs of the Baltic States. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 195. ISBN 9780313331251. OCLC 62281692.
- "Elmo Nüganen". Estonian Theatre Agency. Archived from the original on 22 July 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Kristensen, Lars (28 February 2013). Postcommunist Film - Russia, Eastern Europe and World Culture: Moving Images of Postcommunism. Routledge. p. 95. ISBN 9781136475559.
- LeVasseur, Andrea. "Synopsis of the film Nimed Marmortahvlil". allmovie.com. Archived from the original on 15 August 2013. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- Boyce, Laurence (15 September 2015). "1944 to be the Estonian submission for the 2016 Academy Awards". Cineuropa. Retrieved 12 March 2016.
- Elmo Nüganen at the Estonian Movie Database (in Estonian)