Shropshire performing in New York in 2009.
|Also known as||Dr. Elmo|
October 26, 1936|
|Instruments||5-String Banjo, Guitar|
|Labels||Epic, SonyBMG, Sony, Time Life|
|Associated acts||Elmo & Patsy,|
Elmo Shropshire, DVM (born October 26, 1936) is an American veterinarian, competitive runner and country music singer. Shropshire, who typically performs under the name "Dr. Elmo," is a one-hit wonder best known for his Christmas novelty song "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer". He originally recorded the song in 1979 with his then-wife, Patsy, then re-recorded it solo for the 1992 album Dr. Elmo's Twisted Christmas and again in 2000 for the album Up Your Chimney. He also recorded two albums of year-round songs: Dr. Elmo's Twisted Tunes (1993) and Love, Death and Taxes (2000).
Elmo is a native of Lexington, Kentucky, and has a degree in veterinary medicine from Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama. After moving to San Francisco, he opened an animal hospital, Arguello Pet Hospital, and became a competitive runner, all while continuing to play with his bluegrass band.
Success with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"
In 1979, Elmo recorded "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" (written by his friend Randy Brooks), and instantly, Elmo & Patsy became regional superstars. They divorced in 1985. Since then, Elmo has become part of a class action suit against Sony based upon the royalties paid from downloads and ringtone sales.
In 2000, he served as co-writer of an animated Christmas special based on the song. For this television special, he also provided the voices of Grandpa and the narrator. In 2007, Elmo was sued by the Fred Rappaport Company, the producer of the show, over the right to use the song in show-related merchandise.
On October 13, 2012, Elmo Shropshire won his age division in the United States National 5K Cross Country Championship in San Diego, California, and on October 27, 2013, he won a gold medal in the World Master's Games as part of the USA 4×400 relay team in Porto Allegre, Brazil. 
On December 24, 2016, he performed on Fox News Channel's "FOX and Friends." 
Elmo & Patsy
- Playin' Possum (as The Homestead Act) (1974)
- Elmo & Patsy (1974)
- Will You Be Ready? (1980)
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (1983)
|1979||"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer"||—||—||N/A|
|1983||"Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" (re-recording)||92||—||Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Dr. Elmo's Twisted Christmas (1992)
- Dr. Elmo's Twisted Tunes (1993)
- Love, Death, and Taxes (2000)
- Up Your Chimney (2000)
- Dr. Elmo's MisceLOONYous Tunes (2000)
- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer (2002)
- Christmas in the U.S.A. (2004)
- Dr. Elmo Sings the Boos (2005)
- Redneck Dracula (2006) (with the Halloween Ghouls)
- Redneck Santa (2007)
- Dr. Elmo Bluegrass Christmas (2010)
- Old Kentucky Home (2013)
- 2000 - Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer — Grandpa Spankenheimer, Adult Jake (Narrator)
- "AT LONG LAST SINGLES". Stubby's House of Christmas. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Napoli, Lisa (30 October 2006). "Ringtone royalties" (Audio with transcript). Marketplace.[permanent dead link]
- "'Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer' singer is sued". USA Today. 27 November 2007. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- Mason, Clark (24 December 2012). "Novelty reindeer song still has legs, 30 years later". Santa Rosa Press Democrat. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- Video on YouTube
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-11-02. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944–2008. Record Research, Inc. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Whitburn, Joel (2011). Top Pop Singles 1955–2010. Record Research, Inc. ISBN 0-89820-188-8.