Elmwood Park Memorial High School
|Elmwood Park Memorial High School|
|375 River Drive
Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Elmwood Park Public Schools|
|Vice principals||Karen Fasouletos|
|Asst. principal||Jillian Torrento|
|Enrollment||726 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||15.0:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Newspaper||The Scarlet Quill|
Elmwood Park Memorial High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grade from Elmwood Park, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Elmwood Park Public Schools. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 1963.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 726 students and 48.4 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 15.0:1. There were 251 students (34.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 84 (11.6% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 214th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 248th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 210th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 201st in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 237th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
The Elmwood Park High School Crusaders compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), made up of private and public high schools located in Bergen County, Hudson County and Passaic County, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 533 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 495 to 762 students in that grade range. Prior to realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, Elmwood Park was a member of the smaller Bergen-Passaic Scholastic League (BPSL).
The high school's football team had a 41-game losing streak in effect from 2002 until September 30, 2006, when they defeated the Manchester Regional High School Falcons, 33-14, snapping the four-year-long losing streak that was North Jersey's longest for a football team.
Despite going 20 years without a winning record, the Elmwood Park High School baseball team went 19-6 in 2006, winning the league championship and doubling their wins every year for three seasons. They were semifinalist in the state tournament and county qualifiers.
In 2006, the Elmwood Park High School wrestling team won the BPSL Championship, had a record of 22-2 for the season, were semifinalists in the state sectionals, and ranked top ten in Bergen County. The wrestling team won the North I Group II state sectional championship in 1982 and 1986.
The 2003 boys' basketball team won the North I, Group I state sectional title, their first championship since 1984, with a 70-56 win against Park Ridge High School in the tournament final. The boys' basketball team won the North I, Group I state championship in 2007, defeating Leonia High School 78-70 in a game played at Hudson Catholic Regional High School.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- David Warner - Principal
- Karen Fasouletos - Vice Principal
- Danny Basile - Assistant Principal/ Director of Athletics
- Michael Cade (born 1972), actor, who appeared in California Dreams.
- Cora-Ann Mihalik (born c. 1954; class of 1972), former television news anchor and reporter who was best known for her role as co-anchor and news reporter for Fox WNYW and My 9 WWOR from 1987 to 2011.
- School data for Memorial Senior High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Elmwood Park Memorial High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 26, 2016.
- Memorial High School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed August 21, 2011.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed November 28, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 7, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- "Go crazy, EP! Losing streak kaput", The Record (Bergen County), October 1, 2006. Accessed December 12, 2014. "Elmwood Park snapped North Jersey's longest football losing streak with a convincing 33-14 win over Manchester on Saturday."
- History of The NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 14, 2016.
- Arangure Jr., Jorge. "Unlikely hero lifts Elmwood Park", The Record (Bergen County), March 12, 2003. Accessed December 12, 2014. "Elmwood Park beat Park Ridge, 70-56, Tuesday at Marist High School in Bayonne to claim its first North 1, Group 1 sectional boys basketball title since 1984 with help from an unlikely source, sophomore Patrick Lowery."
- 2003 Boys Basketball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 2, 2007.
- Roberts, Jeff. "Elmwood Park rallies past Leonia", The Record (Bergen County), March 7, 2007. Accessed December 12, 2014. "Leonia's Ahmad Hassan owned the first half, but Tillerson dominated when things mattered most. He scored 25 of his season-high 37 points in the second half to lead the Crusaders to a 78-70 victory in the North 1, Group 1 boys basketball final Tuesday at Hudson Catholic."
- 2007 Boys Basketball - North I, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed March 7, 2007.
- Administration, Elmwood Park Memorial High School. Accessed November 19, 2014.
- Kubasik, Bn. "TV Spots", Newsday, June 23, 1989. Accessed December 5, 2013. "Mihalik's Advice to Graduates WNYW/5 anchor Cora Ann Mihalik, class of '72, Elmwood Park (NJ) High School, returns to offer pointers to tonight's graduates."
- Elmwood Park Memorial High School
- Elmwood Park Public Schools
- Elmwood Park Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Elmwood Park Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics