Tacoma, Washington, USA
|Medium||Stand-up, memoirs, essays, theatrical performances, mollyblogging|
|Notable works and roles||The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance (humorous memoir, 2009)|
Elna Baker (born January 1982) is a writer and performer of humorous stories. Her stories have been featured on radio programs such as This American Life, The Moth, BBC Radio 4 and Studio 360. In October 2009, Penguin Books published her book The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance (ISBN 0525951350), which chronicles her experience as a young, single Mormon living in New York City.
Baker was born in Tacoma, Washington, and was raised as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in a Mexican-Mormon family. After age nine she lived in Madrid and London. Her father runs a titanium factory in Russia, where her parents now reside.
Baker attended The American School in London and the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University, where she was mentored by playwright Elizabeth Swados. She currently lives in New York City. She has left the LDS Church since the publication of her book.
Baker's writings and humor often relate to her experiences in New York City and coming of age as a Mormon, struggling between her personal desires and religious abstinence. George Dawes Green said "As she juggles it all before us—her doubt and her deep faith and her lust and longing and fierce discipline—she’s a dazzlement, a living breathing paradox…".
Baker was famously a virgin until age 28.
Baker was very heavy growing up, eventually choosing to be thin. She dropped 110 lbs., and was shocked to receive lots of positive attention she hadn't received before.
- "Heard the one about the Mormon stand-up comic?". The Observer. 21 November 2009. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
If I told you that Elna Baker had written a frank and self-deprecating memoir about dating which is unlike any other frank and self-deprecating memoir about dating, you probably would not believe me. However, Baker is a Mormon. A peachy, astute, witty 27-year-old Mormon who has never had sex.
- "Virginity and the City", New York Magazine, July 12, 2009, retrieved 2009-10-22
- "The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance". Penguin.com (USA). Penguin Group. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- "Elna's Bio". elnabaker.com. Archived from the original on 2009-09-25. Retrieved 2009-10-22.
- Williams, Alex (October 26, 2011). "To Be Young, Hip and Mormon". The New York Times. Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- Baker, Elna (28 March 2011). ""Guess What? I'm Not a Virgin Anymore!"". Glamour. Retrieved 1 August 2016.