Elon Lages Lima
|Elon Lages Lima|
|Born||9 July 1929 (age 87)
|Institutions||Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago
University of Brazil
|Doctoral advisor||Edwin Spanier|
Elon Lages Lima (born July 9, 1929 in Maceió) is a Brazilian mathematician whose research concerns differential topology, algebraic topology, and differential geometry. Lima was an influential figure in the development of mathematics in Brazil.
Lima is professor emeritus at Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada of which he was the director during three separate periods. Currently he is the Chief Scientific Researcher of that institution. Lima has been twice recipient of the Jabuti Prize from the Câmara Brasileira do Livro, for his textbooks Espaços Métricos and Álgebra Linear, and of the Anísio Teixeira Prize from the Ministry of Education and Sports. His mathematical style was heavily influenced by Bourbaki's.
He began his career as a high school teacher in Fortaleza, Ceará. Lima graduated with a bachelor's degree in Mathematics from the Universidade do Brasil (today UFRJ) in 1953. He obtained his Doctorate in 1958 from the University of Chicago with Edwin Henry Spanier as advisor. He is a former Guggenheim Fellow, and holds memberships in the Academia Brasileira de Ciências (Brazilian Academy of Sciences) and the TWAS, the Academy of Sciences for the Developing World. He is a professor Honoris Causa of the Universidade Federal do Ceará and of the University of Brasília. He was a member of the Upper Board of FAPERJ from 1987 to 1991. He was also a member of the National Board of Education.
He has written twenty-five books in mathematics, six of which were intended for secondary school teachers. Between 1990 and 1995, he coordinated the IMPA-VITAE project, which held skills improvement courses for mathematics professors in eleven cities from eight states throughout Brazil.
- Lima, E. L. (1965). "Commuting vector fields on S3". Annals of Mathematics. vol. 81, pp. 70–88.
- do Carmo, M. and Lima, E. L. (1969). "Isometric immersions with semi-definite second quadratic forms". Archiv der Mathematik vol. 20, pp. 173–175.
- Lima, E. L. (1987). "Orientability of smooth hypersurfaces and the Jordan-Brouwer separation theorem". Expositiones Mathematicae. vol. 5, pp. 283–286.
- Circe Mary Silva da Silva, "Entrevista: Elon Lages Lima", Revista Matemática Universitária, Number 33, December 2002, pp. 97–120.
- Brazilian Academy of Sciences: Elon Lages Lima
- IMPA - Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada
- Elon Lages Lima at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Elon Lages Lima - Membros da ONMC
- Dieudonné, Jean (2009-09-01). A History of Algebraic and Differential Topology, 1900 - 1960. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 610. ISBN 9780817649074.