Elrio van Heerden
|Full name||Elrio van Heerden|
|Date of birth||11 July 1983|
|Place of birth||Port Elizabeth, South Africa|
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 15 March 2013.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 15 March 2013
Elrio van Heerden (/ /, Afrikaans: [ˈɛlrjʊə fan ˈɦɪərdən]; born 11 July 1983) is a South African footballer who plays as a midfielder. He has also been an established member of the South African national team in the past. He is managed by ExtraTime S.L.
He came to Denmark in 2002, where he spent his first two years learning from the older players. Elrio got his debut in 2004 against AaB at Parken Stadium, and the little South African immediately wrote history with his equalizer short before the final whistle. The goal meant, that FC København could secure the championship in the next (and last) round against FC Nordsjælland at Farum Park, which they did with a 4–2 victory.
A move to Club Brugge was made on 24 January 2006, where he spent two years with the Belgian club scoring two goals from his 67 appearances.
It was announced on 2 June 2009 that Van Heerden had agreed a two-year deal with the Premier League club Blackburn Rovers, arriving on a free transfer from Club Brugge. He only played two official matches for the club; in the League Cup against Gillingham in the second round, and Chelsea in the quarter-finals, both as a second-half substitute.
On 8 January 2010 it was reported that Elrio was close to signing for Turkish club Sivasspor. Goal.com revealed that Elrio was due to travel to Turkey for a medical ahead of signing on Monday 11 January 2010.
He has so far won 37 full international caps for South Africa, scoring three goals. He represented "Bafana Bafana" at the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana and the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup in South Africa.
|1||6 July 2005||Home Depot Center, United States||Mexico||2–0||2–1||2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
|2||23 January 2008||Tamale, Ghana||Angola||1–1||1–1||2008 African Cup of Nations|
|3||31 January 2008||Kumasi, Ghana||Senegal||1–0||1–1||2008 African Cup of Nations|
|South Africa national team|
- "About Glenville". Glenville Celtic. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Rovers sign South African star". Blackburn Rovers. 2 June 2009. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011.
- "Sivasspor Close To Signing South African Elrio Van Heerden". Goal.com. 9 January 2010.
- "South African departs". Blackburn Rovers. 11 January 2010.
- "Elrio Van Heerden: alleen nog medische testen" (in Dutch). Westerlo. 27 July 2010. Archived from the original on 4 August 2010. Retrieved 27 July 2010.
- "No takers yet for Van Heerden". The Sowetan. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "South Africa – International Appearances" Archived 5 November 2013 at the Wayback Machine.. RSSSF. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Bafana Bafana". SAFA. Retrieved 15 March 2013.