Elsa (given name)
World map showing the countries where the names Elsa or Elza are popular. Any color means the name is among the 100 most popular names either in the population or among newborns.
|Region of origin||Scandinavia|
|Variant form(s)||Elisabeth, Elisabet, Elisabetta and Elizabeth|
|Related names||Eli, Elis, Elise, Eliza, Ella, Elle, Else, Elsie, Elys, Elza, Ilsa, Ilse|
|Popularity||see popular names|
Elsa is a female given name mostly used in the Scandinavian countries.
After the release of Disney's Frozen at the end of 2013, in which a main character is named Elsa, the name became more popular in different countries across the world. In Faroe Islands and Sweden the name was in the top 10 baby names before the film was released, and became the most popular name afterwards, in 2014 and 2015. In the US, the number of babies named Elsa was 487 in 2010, and it more than doubled in 2014.
- Elsa Benítez (born 1977), Mexican model
- Elsa Borg (1826-1909), Swedish social worker
- Elsa Brändström (1888–1948), Swedish philanthropist
- Elsa Beata Bunge (1734–1819), Swedish botanist
- Elsa Patricia Galarza Contreras (born 1963), Peruvian economist
- Elsa Ehrich (1914–1948), German Nazi SS concentration camp guard executed for war crimes
- Elsa Einstein (1876–1936), German, Albert Einstein's second wife
- Elsa Eschelsson (1861–1911), first Swedish woman doctor in law
- Elsa Fougt (1744–1826), Swedish publisher
- Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven (1874–1927), German artist/poet
- Elsa Hosk (born 1988), Swedish model
- Elsa Kazi (1884–1967), German writer and German origin Sindhi woman. famous for her poem The Neem Tree (Sindhi: نم جو وڻ).
- Elsa Klensch (born 1933), Australian-American Fashion Commentator
- Elsa Lanchester (1902–1986), English-American actress, probably best known for playing the Bride of Frankenstein
- Elsa Leviseur (born 1932), South African-born American architect.
- Elsa Lunghini (born 1973), French singer
- Elsa Martinelli (born 1932 or 1935), Italian actress and former fashion model
- Elsa Maxwell (1883–1963), American gossip columnist and author, songwriter, and professional hostess
- Elsa Morante (1912–1985), Italian novelist
- Elsa Pataky (born 1976), Spanish actress, model, and film producer
- Elsa Peretti (born 1940), Italian jewelry designer
- Elsa Ratassepp (1893-1972), Estonian actress
- Elsa Salazar Cade (born 1952), American entomologist/educator
- Elsa Schiaparelli (1890–1973), Parisian fashion designer of the 1920s and 1930s
- Elsa Maria Sylvestersson (1924–1996), Finnish ballet dancer and choreographer
- Elsa Triolet (1896–1970), French writer
- Elsa Zylberstein (born 1968), French actress
- Elsa, from the ABC television series Once Upon a Time
- Elsa, from Disney's animated film Frozen
- Elsa of Brabant, heroine of the Wagnerian opera Lohengrin
- Baroness Elsa von Schraeder, from the film and stage show The Sound of Music
- Elsa Schneider, from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Elsa Cleeg, of Kim Possible
- Elsa de Sica, from the manga/anime Gunslinger Girl
- Elsa Lichtmann, from the L.A. Noire
- Elsa Shivers from I Know What You Did Last Summer
- Elsa Mars, of American Horror Story: Freak Show, portrayed by Jessica Lange
- Elsa Tilsley, in the British soap opera Coronation Street
- Exelsa, formerly Elsa, from the sitcom La familia P. Luche
- Elsa, from Power Rangers Dino Thunder
- Elsa the Lioness, subject of the book and film Born Free
- NamepediA Blog - The Real Elsa, Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Daily Mail - Girls' name 'Elsa' makes the list of 500 most popular names in the United States, Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Wiktionary - Elsa
- NamepediA Blog - The Real Elsa
- Daily Mail - Girls' name 'Elsa' makes the list of 500 most popular names in the United States
|given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.This page or section lists people that share the same|