Eltaj Safarli, 43rd Chess Olympiad
|Full name||Eltac Səfərli|
|Born||May 18, 1992|
|FIDE rating||2598 (January 2020)|
|Peak Elo rating||2694 (October 2016)|
|Ranking||No. 72 (December 2018)|
|Peak ranking||No. 46 (October 2016)|
|2011 Porto Carras||Team|
He entered tournaments from the age of 6, with modest success. Safarli won the Azerbaijan Championships in 2010 and 2016. He won the under 10 World Youth Chess Championship in Heraklion in 2002.
Safarli played in the silver medal-winning Azerbaijani team at the European Team Chess Championship in Porto Carras in 2011, alongside Shakhriyar Mamedyarov, Teimour Radjabov, Vugar Gashimov and Qadir Huseynov.
Notable tournament victories
- 2010 Mikhail Chigorin Memorial, Saint Petersbourg, 1st
- Winner of Azerbaijan Chess Championship (2010, 2016)
- Co-winner of the Tata Steel Challengers Tournament 2016 (+6-1=5)
- "Eltaj Safarli Wins Mikhail Chigorin Memorial". Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "Eltaj Safarli Interview (and game against Wesley So)". Chess Videos, Chess DVDs, Chess Software and more. 2011-10-16. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Eltaj Safarli and Narmin Kazimova are new champions of Azerbaijan - Chessdom". www.chessdom.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "The Week in Chess 420". theweekinchess.com. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eltaj Safarli.|
|This biographical article relating to an Azerbaijani chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|