Elton John AIDS Foundation
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Elton John AIDS Foundation is a non-profit organization established by musician Sir Elton John in 1992 to help fund frontline partners to prevent infections, fight stigma and provide treatment with love, compassion and dignity for the most vulnerable groups affected by HIV around the world.
The Foundation has raised more than $450 million worldwide, saved 5 million lives and supported 3000 projects to date (September 2020).
The Elton John AIDS Foundation is in the top 10 philanthropic funders of HIV/AIDS grants worldwide, number one philanthropic funder in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, and 2nd largest HIV philanthropic funder of LGBTQ populations globally.
Elton John was inspired to start the organization after the passing of Indiana teenager, Ryan White, who was infected with HIV by a blood transfusion and died in 1990.
In 1999, the World Health Organization announced that AIDS was Africa’s number one killer, with 33 million HIV infections and 14 million AIDS-related deaths. It was during this time that the Foundation funded palliative care in Africa to support 800,000 people to die with dignity and help over 800,000 children orphaned by AIDS.
In 2002, Elton John testified before U.S Congress pleading for more funds to fight the global AIDS epidemic, and in 2003, President Bush created PEPFAR, the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, the biggest fund for health in history.
During the following years, the Foundation continued to fund HIV testing, treatment and care services for key populations most at risk.
As a leader in the global AIDS community, the Elton John AIDS Foundation is committed to overcome the stigma, discrimination and neglect that keeps us from ending AIDS.
The Foundation’s purpose is to harness local expertise, mobilise networks of generous public and private supporters and partners, and maximise the platform and influence of our Founder Elton John to eliminate HIV as a problem for people vulnerable to HIV and for their communities.
- No more discrimination
- No more HIV infections
- No more AIDS deaths
As a grant-making organisation, the Elton John AIDS Foundation creates bespoke partnerships and announce opportunities for funding whilst carefully monitoring impact for all projects with current grantees.
Example initiatives funded by the Foundation include:
- RADIAN: This ground-breaking partnership with Gilead Sciences aims to meaningfully address new HIV infections and deaths from AIDS related illnesses in EECA through focused action, investment and resourcing to improve the quality of prevention and care for people at risk of or living with HIV in the region.
- MENSTAR: Founded by the Elton John AIDS Foundation, the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, Unitaid, The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Johnson & Johnson and Gilead Sciences, the Coalition will expand the diagnosis and treatment of HIV infections in men, particularly in sub-Saharan Africa.
- UK HIV SOCIAL IMPACT BOND: The Elton John AIDS Foundation, Lambeth Council, The National Lottery Community Fund, ViiV Healthcare, Comic Relief, and Big Issue Invest have come together to implement the world’s first Social Impact Bond (SIB) focused on HIV testing and treatment in three of London’s most impacted boroughs: Lewisham, Lambeth and Southwark.
Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Award Party
Every year, the foundation hosts a viewing party for the Academy Awards. It is an invitation-only event that has grown to become one of the most desired invitations in the entertainment industry, as well as one of the Elton John AIDS Foundation's most fruitful fundraising efforts. For the first few years, the party was a dinner held at the Maple Drive restaurant in Beverly Hills. The inaugural dinner was arranged by Patrick Lippet, another activist in Hollywood who was best known for his work with the Rock the Vote campaign. Lippet died from AIDS only three months after helping Elton John put together the first Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscar night party.
In 1998, the party moved to Spago, another upscale restaurant in Beverly Hills known for its celebrity clientele. It has moved multiple times since then with the West Hollywood Park in Los Angeles serving as the venue in since 2018.
The event features dinner, a live broadcast of the Academy Awards Ceremony, and a post-broadcast after-party with live music.
This annual event has raised millions of dollars, thanks to the generosity of the Foundation’s supporters, which helps the Foundation support HIV treatment and care for the most marginalized communities.
In July 2019, the Foundation held their first Midsummer Party event in the South of France to support HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment, supporting services, and advocacy programs across the globe.
The star-studded evening was held at Johnny Pigozzi’s beautiful Villa Dorane at the end of Cap d’Antibes and featured a cocktail reception and a sumptuous Provençal dinner with beautiful music provided by Stjepan Hauser of 2Cellos.
Anne Aslett, Chief Executive Officer
Anne Aslett is the global Chief Executive Officer of the Elton John AIDS Foundation. Formerly, Anne served as Executive Director of the Foundation based in the UK. She has been with the Foundation for almost 20 years, having worked on the Foundation’s UK mission in Europe, Africa and Asia, directing all its programming across 23 countries, as International Development Director, overseeing the disbursement of over 60m grants.
David Furnish, Chairman
As CEO of Rocket Entertainment and chairman of the Elton John AIDS Foundation, David Furnish is an entrepreneur with a global and strategic outlook occupying a unique intersection of philanthropy, film, music and theatre.
A tireless campaigner, David Furnish is a leading voice in the worldwide fight against HIV and AIDS. He has led the Elton John AIDS Foundation for over 20 years and travels across the globe to meet people at risk and living with HIV first-hand and community groups, doctors and activists to raise the attention of epidemic and builds partnerships with major companies to fund innovative programming and involve the mass public in support of the Foundation .
Honorary Lifetime President
- Ajaz Ahmed
- Johnny Bergius
- Tracy Blackwell (Treasurer)
- Mark Dybul
- Eric Goosby
- Emma Kane
- Ilana Kloss
- Evgeny Lebedev
- Tom Moore
- Richard Reger (Company Secretary)
- Barron Segar
- "Elton John AIDS Foundation Home Page". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "Key facts & figures". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "Our history". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "Our mission". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "What we fund". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "Radian". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "Menstar". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "UK Social Impact Bond". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "Our team". Elton John AIDS Foundation. Retrieved September 8, 2020.